Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths and Economics degree: Open University - job prospects

Options
  • 09-03-2012 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking of applying for the degree in Maths and Economics with the Open university. It takes roughly 6 years to complete degree but I reckon I'll complete it in less, the area of maths I will be focusing on become more statistics as the degree progresses.

My question to you is:
    What would my job prospects be after completing this degree?
    And closely related to first question -
    How is the Open university maths and economics degree perceived by employers?

also -
    What sort of employers would actually employ me? what sort of money would I be capable of earning as a graduate and would I have to do further study to realistically get a job from this degree and if so what?

Thanks
    Keith

P.S. I had put this in the maths forum but either it gets little traffic or maybe no one had an answer and it was the wrong place to put it, either way I got no replies, I'd be greatful for anyones comments.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I'm thinking of applying for the degree in Maths and Economics...

What would my job prospects be after completing this degree?

...What sort of employers would actually employ me?
    According the the US Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook 2010-11 Edition:

"Slower than average job growth is expected, as the vast majority of bachelor’s degree holders in economics find employment in closely related fields, such as business, finance, or insurance... Quantitative skills are important in all economics specialties."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

As an addition to what Black Swan said; I've economics lecturers who've said that the real wage premium to an economics qualification is in a masters; something on the order of a 25% salary premium accrues to a masters apparently. Going my job search in general, the more quantitative skills you have the better, and the more jobs you'll find that are open to you with quant skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭happyman81

That would be a great degree, no matter where you study it. There are jobs out there for people with maths skills. For example, one area that is really growing at the moment is in Credit Risk in banking. People with Economics & Maths are ideal for this environment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_risk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basel_ii

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basel_III

Advertisement