Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why have you decided to apply for medicine?

Options
  • 09-03-2012 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭

Just wondering what has motivated all of you to do medicine? I've applied for the Gamsat Mar 24th but haven't done much for it due to job and other commitments, and being honest a lack of motivation. I want to get into neurology or psychiatry but Im not sure its worth it, Im mid thirties now and pretty sick of studying the past 4 years. Another part of me is terrified of starting at the bottom rung of the ladder again at my age after going back and changing career...at least with medicine the bottom rung would still feel pretty high up (although obviously not in terms of salary - does anyone know what the route of salary ballpark is during first five years post study?).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ciara84

curadh wrote: »
    Just wondering what has motivated all of you to do medicine? I've applied for the Gamsat Mar 24th but haven't done much for it due to job and other commitments, and being honest a lack of motivation. I want to get into neurology or psychiatry but Im not sure its worth it, Im mid thirties now and pretty sick of studying the past 4 years. Another part of me is terrified of starting at the bottom rung of the ladder again at my age after going back and changing career...at least with medicine the bottom rung would still feel pretty high up (although obviously not in terms of salary - does anyone know what the route of salary ballpark is during first five years post study?).
    if you're going into it for the money you'll discover very quickly that you've probably bit off a bit more than you can chew. Salary wont be worth it when you have a 100k loan to pay off, esp when you start off around 30k as an intern, SHOs earn slightly more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭curadh

Hi Ciara, ta for the reply, no I'm not going into it for the money, Im interested in neurology or psychiatry. What I meant was workwise, not in terms of salary. ie. doing all the rubbish work and being treated like a dogsbody for the first few years, like in any profession.

Hi Ciara, ta for the reply, no I'm not going into it for the money, Im interested in neurology or psychiatry. What I meant was workwise, not in terms of salary. ie. doing all the rubbish work and being treated like a dogsbody for the first few years, like in any profession.
    well I dont really get it, you didnt mention anything about working conditions at all or how junior doctors are treated, if you do a quick search you will find many topics on that in the main health sciences forum, I only adressed the questions that you actually asked which had nothing to do with working conditions. Word to the wise, if you're not motivated you dont get very far, you need motivation to lose weight, study more, go travelling etc, if you're not motivated to become a doctor you wont become one by divine inspiration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭curadh

Eh, I meant "does anyone know what the route of salary ballpark is during first five years post study" as an aside if you re-read it.
    Again, if you re-read, you will see the main question, asked twice (once in the title, and once in the opening), is what motivated YOU to try for medicine.
    Without being too patronising, I'm guessing you're a bit younger, perspective changes a little when you are older with more pressing responsibilities, especially the financial ones, so of course the immediacy of salary is important, and knowing what shape it takes in the first five years.
    Anyway, lets not get hung up on that, anyone else care to comment on why they are taking the Gammy's?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

haha Excellent! The Gammys is probably the most apt nickname for GAMSAT that I've ever heard.

Why I'm applying? I'm not 100% sure. Its not something I've wanted to do for years. I'm studying Physiology in college and so have developed real interest in biomedical science. Doing volunteer work over the last 3 years I've gained somewhat of an insight into medical care and have really liked it. Finally, if I'm honest, I can't really imagine myself being all that happy in anything else. Its just difficult to try to consider what my priorities will be at 26/27 when graduating and trying to plan to fit a medical career in around them. The loan also scares me a bit, but sure we'll have to see about tha.

• Advertisement

Eh, I meant "does anyone know what the route of salary ballpark is during first five years post study" as an aside if you re-read it.
    Again, if you re-read, you will see the main question, asked twice (once in the title, and once in the opening), is what motivated YOU to try for medicine.
    Without being too patronising, I'm guessing you're a bit younger, perspective changes a little when you are older with more pressing responsibilities, especially the financial ones, so of course the immediacy of salary is important, and knowing what shape it takes in the first five years.
    Anyway, lets not get hung up on that, anyone else care to comment on why they are taking the Gammy's?
    hahaha thats a bit funny since I'm only a few years younger than you (if you say you're in your mid 30s), I'm one of the older ones in my class, I had a career before I started (worked in the federal reserve in boston), and I guess I'm not applying this year, since I've already been through that and nearly into second year now in RCSI, few months to go, fingers crossed. What motivated me was the lack of self satisfaction rather than monetary satisfaction, actually in the last year of my last job I made close to what i'll make in the first five years combined as a doctor (worked as a finansial analyst / Asset management consultant if you are wondering)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

I don't see the need for argument. I think the OP asked to just share reasons, not comment on other people's.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

does anyone know what the route of salary ballpark is during first five years post study?).

http://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/Benefits_Services/pay/Payscales/

Click on 'Consolidated Payscales January 2010' to get the current rates for new entrants. Search for interns, SHOs and Regs depending on what speciality you wish to go for. There may be some allowances and overtime that could be applicable.

Advertisement