Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is boxing for me?

Options
  • 09-03-2012 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭

Is boxing for me. I'm male 5' 10'' 40yrs about 15.5 stone not so fit. Do weights in a gym twice weekly.
    Cycle a bit and have some free time in the evenings.

What troubles me is A all the running. Asthma and allergies galore. B getting the schite knocked out of me by some teenager.

I'd like to give it go but not if it means too much running!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

In what capacity?

If you want to compete, the age limit is 34 so you'd have to enter the masters division.

Or just to get fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Is boxing for me. I'm male 5' 10'' 40yrs about 15.5 stone not so fit. Do weights in a gym twice weekly.
    Cycle a bit and have some free time in the evenings.

What troubles me is A all the running. Asthma and allergies galore. B getting the schite knocked out of me by some teenager.

I'd like to give it go but not if it means too much running!

i have lads like you who train with me, They do it just to get fitter and lose weight, not all clubs will take you though as most are competition only based which is fine, the likes of my club is a full time gym as such and needs casual members to keep the place afloat and i run kids and adult classes seperately.

Best thing is to check whats in your area and ring the club to ask would they accept you, don't be offended if told no though as most are purely their to make champions and are non profit.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Doughbag

There is no problem with starting boxing at your age for fitness.
    It's very good for your cardio and some weightloss as well.

You normaly wouldn't get the sh** kicked/boxed out of you, unless you are competing in some tournament.

There are plenty of people in the fourties picking it up these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

In what capacity?

If you want to compete, the age limit is 34 so you'd have to enter the masters division.

Or just to get fit?

Thanks for all the replies. I don't know much about the sport. I haven't watched pro-box for ages.

I wouldn't mind giving it a go. Need something new to occupy my time.

Advertisement