Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

am i being ripped off?

Options
  • 09-03-2012 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭

last week went to my dentist with a broken filling between two lower molars. the two molars had a filling across the top of them with the section between filled aswell. it was this part that broke.

the dentist for whatever reason put a temporary filling in and that along with my check up cost me 115euro.

went back yesterday for my permanent filling and the whole lot was cleaned up and one molar was filled, and the centre section between the two.

this was on the receipt as 'white filling-posterior, lower left molar' and cost 150 euro.

my friend broke a filling last night and got his filling done for 75euro.

is 150 not a bit excessive?

**edit** i was given 3 injections

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

copeyhagen wrote: »
    last week went to my dentist with a broken filling between two lower molars. the two molars had a filling across the top of them with the section between filled aswell. it was this part that broke.

the dentist for whatever reason put a temporary filling in and that along with my check up cost me 115euro.

went back yesterday for my permanent filling and the whole lot was cleaned up and one molar was filled, and the centre section between the two.

this was on the receipt as 'white filling-posterior, lower left molar' and cost 150 euro.

my friend broke a filling last night and got his filling done for 75euro.

is 150 not a bit excessive?

**edit** i was given 3 injections

Op all fillings arent the same.

Yours may ahve been complex if it was a deep cavity.

I'm sure someone can give better dental lingo that me..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

i'm not gonna get into the ins and outs of your case here, but i really feel sympathetic to those of us who feel ripped off by dentists, accountants solicitors etc. if you go to a restaurant theres a price beside each item or a price beside them in the supermarket.
    as stated earlier, you're getting a service as much as something tangible. all dentists MUST display a price list though there is a range for some items. i charge 30 for some extractions i do, 100 for others all dependant on time so different people meeting these patients may thing i'm bargain basement or others that i'm a rip off.
    most dentists will apply common sense re fees. my best advice is use word of mouth when choosing a dentist and maybe check out the prices too.

Advertisement