Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birds not keen on Aldi seed

Options
  • 09-03-2012 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a large bag of seed in Aldi's. Up to now birds( finches and blue, coal and great tits) have been keen on the seed in the smaller bags. However they are scattering most of the seed on the ground and seem to be only eating a tiny proportion of the seed from the larger bag.
    it is the 12.75kg bag and includes wheat, oats, red darl, sunfloweer seed, maize , red millet and cut peas.

the spilled sead is also being ignored by jackdaws, magpies too.

Is it the wrong type of seed or could the bag be contaminated.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I bought a sack of that Aldi food a while back, it contains a lot of grain that the smaller birds ignore. They will scatter it around while looking for the nicer seeds in the mix. Pigeons and Collard Doves will pick up the spilt grain, but it will also attract feral pigeons and possibly rodents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

had same problem, don't buy it anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

I used to buy loads of mixed seed. Always try and get the one with the least amount of wheat in it. Still loads of wastage though. This winter I made fat balls with them by mixing with pork lard I bought in Tesco's. Zero wastage. A great calorie rich feed. Easier on the pocket as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭rock22

thanks for replies,
    I will avoid these in future. Had bought large box in B&Q before and it was eaten completely.

I will try making suet cakes with them

Advertisement