Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Macbook Pro in USA & bring back to Ireland

Options
  • 08-03-2012 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hey,

I will be going to Chicago and New York for 2weeks in the summer and was wondering should I wait and buy a Macbook Pro over there??

How much would I save and how would I go about claiming tax back??

How much tax back would I be able to claim back since I am coming home to Ireland??

Hope you's can help me!! :)

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Compare prices on the respective Apple stores of US and Ireland. That's all your savings will be as you cannot claim taxes back in the USA.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

tallpaul wrote: »
    Compare prices on the respective Apple stores of US and Ireland. That's all your savings will be as you cannot claim taxes back in the USA.

Plus add sales tax in the US and 23% VAT to the price bringing it in to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

whiterebel wrote: »
    Plus add sales tax in the US and 23% VAT to the price bringing it in to Ireland.

Or just remove packaging and stick it in a laptop bag coming home

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

AFAIK you can claim the US tax back but only if you pay the Irish tax when you bring it into this country.

If you know what you plan to buy give Dixons in the airport a ring and check their prices. Somehow they are significantly cheaper than Irish retail prices, maybe moreso on duty free sales. I bought a Macbook pro on the way to England last year and saved about €150 on what Apple or any of the B&M shops were asking.

Advertisement