Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get birth certs?

Options
  • 08-03-2012 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

I'm new to tracing my family tree. I'm tracing back through my Grandfather's on my Dad's side. So far just used the 1901 and 1911 census and got as far as my great great Grandfather born around 1844. How would I go about finding out who his parent's are?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rhapsody

Hello :)
    Go look at the sticky at the top of the page:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056388162

The second heading relates to birth certs. You can do an online search first & then you'll have to either call to the General Records Office in Dublin or Roscommon, or apply to have the cert posted out. Anyway, its all in that link- pinkypinky was very thorough! Come back & ask questions if you're not sure of something :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

if your great great grandfather was born in 1844, then it's before the start of civil records and there will be no birth cert, although there may be a baptism record for him, if records for that area go back far enough.

If he was RC and married 1864 or later then the place to start would be with a marriage cert for him as that will show details of his father i.e. name and occupation...

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rhapsody

Silly me, I didn't check the dates :rolleyes: good man Shane :)

Advertisement