Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best ever Irish(RTE/TV3/TG4) produced series???

Options
  • 08-03-2012 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,611 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    I've recently gotten a bit nostalgic regarding my viewing and rewatched Strumpet City and Roddy Doyles Family.
    Both are great pieces of Television and something that shows Ireland can do TV drama as well as anywhere else in the world!
    So I'm just wondering what other gems are out there waiting to be rediscovered?
    Opinions and recommendations please :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd put Love Hate at number 1, great TV.

Tallifonia in second place, haven't enjoyed Irish TV as much in a long time, Strip show an all in this weeks episode coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Modern but has to be the greatest production RTE hav ever done

LOVE/HATE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Staplor

Paths to Freedom

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭IsaacWunder

Pure Mule - RTE
    Strumpet City - RTE
    CU Burn - TG4

• Registered Users Posts: 16,611 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'd put Love Hate at number 1, great TV.

Tallifonia in second place, haven't enjoyed Irish TV as much in a long time, Strip show an all in this weeks episode coming.

But for Tallafornia you'd have gotten a thank you! haha.

Disregarding love/hate which for its soundtrack alone esp. in season 1 is epic....
    But as it is a current series hardly warrants 'rediscovery' does it?
    I'm after shows that were great and then forgotten if ye get me.
    What other are waiting to be unearthed again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,699 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Love/Hate is really good

Raw started well and then went downhill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Careful now, do you mean RTE alone or RTE and AN Other (like Family) AN Other providing most of the money and some of the technical expertise.

mike65 wrote: »
    Careful now, do you mean RTE alone or RTE and AN Other (like Family) AN Other providing most of the money and some of the technical expertise.

Id take co-productions too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

banie01 wrote: »
    I'm after shows that were great and then forgotten if ye get me.

All the ones I can think of are American or English, I'll never forget Linda Carter but would struggle to think of any memorable Irish TV seriers besides Glenroe, they've all been pretty poor.
    If it was the UK could keep going all day, Spitting Image, Hale & Pace etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Bosco

/thread

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    Bosco

/thread

Ahhh I'll see your Bosco and raise you a 40 coats! haha!
    Still the lack of any input on this topic other than Love/Hate or Raw saddens me....
    So we are at Strumpet City, Family, Paths to Freedom and thats it???

And before anyone starts shouting about Love/Hate and Raw...Yes they are very good series...
    But they are CURRENT....Both have been recommisioned and are hardly forgotten ;)
    BUT
    Tis Nostalgic memories of older forgotten shows I'm angling for...
    Shows that would be worth a 2nd look.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Double move isn't allowed in poker so it'll just have to be a call :p

The Riordan's/Glenroe were fairly decent, well in advance of soaps becoming normal cannon fodder. Also, Roddy Doyle's The Family was good as well.

There have also been some good quiz shows in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Suprised that Bachelors Walk has not been mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 8,821 ✭✭✭squonk

Love Is The Drug from about 2005ish was decent. Maybe that was just because I recognised a good few places from Drogheda!

Beyond that, The Treaty from around 1990-91ish with Breandan Gleeson as Mick Collins was great.

Was the Irish RM a co-pro or a UK production?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Love is the Drug was very underrated.

Corp 'S Anam - TG4 (available on their player http://www.tg4.ie/en/tg4-player/tg4-player.html, Under Drama)
    An Crisis - Political Comedy IMO better than Rasai Na Gallimh

Paths To Freedom - RTÉ
    Family - RTÉ

I know it's just a highlights show, but I always really enjoyed Reeling in the Years. Also feel honour bound to mention 2 shows that I don't like, The Late Late Show and Mrs. Browns Boys.

Clareman wrote: »
    I know it's just a highlights show, but I always really enjoyed Reeling in the Years. Also feel honour bound to mention 2 shows that I don't like, The Late Late Show and Mrs. Browns Boys.

Historically the Late Late has to be mentioned.

squonk wrote: »
    Was the Irish RM a co-pro or a UK production?

Yeah it was produced with Channel 4. Echoes was also produced with theM AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Hands was excellent.An old show but always worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Reeling in the Years by a million miles...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,922 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Think it was part funded by RTE, but a miniseries I remember is The Hanging Gale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The Hanging Gale was excellent.
    It's possible RTÉ part funded it but it was released by the BBC

Two I like:
    Thou shalt not kill. Cathal O'Shannon covered notorious murders around Ireland. Since he died last year I think it would be good to show it again, it's nearly two decades since it was aired

TG4 have an equivalent show about murders. I've forgotton the name

Seachtar na Cásca was excellent too.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Thou shalt no kill. Cathal O'Shannon covered notorious murders around Ireland. Since he died last year I think it would be good to show it again, it's nearly two decades since it was aired

TG4 have an equivalent show about murders. I've forgotton the name

Also Ealú about prison escapes from TG4 also.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

mikemac1 wrote: »

Seachtar na Cásca was excellent too.

I'd second this vote for Seachtar Na Cásca - one of the best things I've seen on Irish TV since Strumpet City, powerful stuff. Hopefully it gets repeated over the Easter break.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

An Crisis - absolutely fantastic...

Rásaí na Gaillimhe - they probably should've left it at just the one series, but great all the same...

Advertisement