Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle to work scheme just for bike components???

Options
  • 08-03-2012 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    finally qualified for bike to work scheme. All i want is some good training wheels, a bank of tubulars for sundays, a component or two upgraded, a new racing helmet and a proper set of lights for training during the week. It all came in well under the thousand euro limit. when i went to submit it to the HSE they said that bike to work only covers FULL bikes..... is this the case or not?? why can't i use my btw to upgrade my race-bike?? the mind boggles.
    Thanks,
    Buzz
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes, that's the case. The B2W scheme is supposed to be used to purchase a bike which you use primarily for cycling to work.

It's not meant to be a scheme to allow racers to upgrade their race bike :) Why would the government give you a tax incentive to upgrade your race bike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Bike and accessories. The invoice was possibly too detailed for them to understand correctly...

You are putting the training wheels on to commute to work no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭ratracer

Hi guys,
    finally qualified for bike to work scheme. All i want is some good training wheels, a bank of tubulars for sundays, a component or two upgraded, a new racing helmet and a proper set of lights for training during the week. It all came in well under the thousand euro limit. when i went to submit it to the HSE they said that bike to work only covers FULL bikes..... is this the case or not?? why can't i use my btw to upgrade my race-bike?? the mind boggles.
    Thanks,
    Buzz
    You bought new wheels, a helmet and some lights for your bike that you cycle to work frequently. This is well within the scope of the BTW scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Probably depends where you're buying and how they do up the invoice...

One of the shops I inquired about a bike in was telling me they just have a 'B2W' option on their computer, and there is no info given about what bike or accessories it is the customer is taking.

studiorat wrote: »
    Bike and accessories. The invoice was possibly too detailed for them to understand correctly...

You are putting the training wheels on to commute to work no?
    ratracer wrote: »
    You bought new wheels, a helmet and some lights for your bike that you cycle to work frequently. This is well within the scope of the BTW scheme.

Afraid not. The B2W scheme covers bikes and associated safety equipment. A fixed list of said equipment is as below:
    - Cycle helmets which conform to European standard EN 1078
    - Bells and bulb horns
    - Lights, including dynamo packs
    - Mirrors and mudguards to ensure rider's visibility is not impaired
    - Cycle clips and dress guards
    - Panniers, luggage carriers and straps to allow luggage to be safely carried
    - Locks and chains to ensure cycle can be safely secured
    - Pumps, puncture repair kits, cycle tool kits and tyre sealant to allow for minor repairs
    - Reflective clothing along with white front reflectors and spoke reflectors
    Wheels, tyres and new drivetrain components are not covered under the scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Legal position as outlined by the Revenue with attached guidelines.

Revenue wrote:
    9.3 Will the exemption apply to expenditure incurred by an employer in the purchase of bicycle parts rather than a whole bicycle?
    No. The exemption only applies to expenditure incurred in the purchase of a whole bicycle or associated safety equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭buzzingnoise

seamus wrote: »
    Yes, that's the case. The B2W scheme is supposed to be used to purchase a bike which you use primarily for cycling to work.

It's not meant to be a scheme to allow racers to upgrade their race bike :) Why would the government give you a tax incentive to upgrade your race bike?

I commute to work by bike and pay tax same as anyone availing of a full new bike on the scheme. The scheme is set up to get people cycling, these parts will keep me on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭ratracer

Some people might think you're mad for spending €1000 on a set of lights and a helmet, but at the end of the day it's all about safery!!:)

I commute to work by bike and pay tax same as anyone availing of a full new bike on the scheme. The scheme is set up to get people cycling, these parts will keep me on the road.
    That's fine. But it doesn't change the fact that parts aren't covered by the scheme and your employer would be committing tax fraud if they allowed you to purchase these parts under the scheme.

Complain to the relevant minister if think it's wrong, your employer are simply sticking to the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Just make sure you dont spend the 1000 on a bike, then discuss with the shop about not taking the bike and taking a credit note instead... that would be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Just thinking out loud here, but what would happen if you bought a bike on the btw scheme, brought it home and then changed your mind about it before cycling it? Say you decided you wanted a different size, could you bring it back and swap it, assuming the shop was open to it? Presumably if this was an option, you could even swap it for a slightly cheaper model and get more accessories with the balance say?
    Just because you've bought it with the BTW scheme, I presume that your normal consumer rights would not be affected, no?

edit: maybe not consumer "rights" but similar to the way if you buy a pair of jeans in a shop, you can bring them home, and return them up to [a period of time e.g. 28 days] later for a credit note or an exchange or sometimes even a refund.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

If you bought a piece of sh*t 100 bike for 'cycling to work' on, could you then spend 900 on accessories and parts?

Not that I would advocate any form of dishonesty or legally dubious behaviour of course, its a rhetorical question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Presume once it leaves the shop it's yours and there'd be no swapping it later, trade it in maybe but I doubt they'd swap it. Your employer owns the bike until, I believe, you repay all monies owing to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Presume once it leaves the shop it's yours and there'd be no swapping it later, trade it in maybe but I doubt they'd swap it. Your employer owns the bike until, I believe, you repay all monies owing to them.
    Well it's easy to arrange to pay it off upfront to your company, so you could very legitimately own the bike outright on the day you collect it. If you were a good customer of the shop you bought it from, it's not inconceivable they would be open to your bringing it back in exchange for something better suited to your needs?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,891 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Check the BTW Megathread

Complete new bikes - yes
    Designated safety accessories - yes
    Components - no

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement