Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

small MHs , are they a thing of the past?

Options
  • 08-03-2012 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭

Purely an innocent discussion/opinion , we seem to be lacking that a little lately.

I've been measuring campers/MHs for a fair few years now , for folks that are worried about the price on the ferry , or getting them into their driveways etc . And like Topsy the SlaveGirl , MHs just seem to grow and grow! Back in the "old days" it was a "Big" MH that was over the magical 3 ton weight , and 6 metres or more in length.... nor the last few years however , it seems that the "average" newish one is 7m or more , and comfortably passed the 3000 kg marker .
    I think it really hit home when we got the Adria Van Twin back in '07 , on the new Ducato shape , and the thing was close to 3 ton , and just over 6 metres long with a bike rack fitted! And this is a standard panel van body!

It's a rare sight in this day and age to see MHs parked inside in a town , and IMHO and from talking to owners , it's 'cos they are just too big , and the owners don't feel comfortable driving them into town centres and trying to find parking .

Is it time the manufacturers started thinking small again? Are we obsessed with having more space inside than Star Wars?

Discuss! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

My van is 21 years old and a Jap import so maybe I don't count. It's long, about 6 meters but narrow (Toyota Hiace) so fit's in any car space and is easy to drive. A lot of my surfer friends also has similar camper vans two berths, transporter transit type vans, not motor homes and I think that is were the difference is we want smaller vans that suit surfing can get onto beaches and are easy to drive from break to break... where as motor homes come with all the bells and whistles, a bed made up all the time, nice lounge, a shower and toilet.... it all adds size and weight. It could also be to do with how bad camp sites are here, bring your own shower and toilet and don't use the campsites one's or even wild camp.

Come to think of it, you are here both as a camper enthusiast and a professional, I've never seen a campsite owner come on here and tell us what that can do for us.....

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭WildWater

Ours is big at a tad over 7m. But with three kids, a dog, 40+ nights and many day trips done in it last year we need the space. In fact, requiring 4 travel seats with belts in the rear and sleeping accommodation for same pretty much puts you into a 6m van. Then if you want a u-lounge or bed at he back instead of bunks the overall result is you will be pushing 7m.

I think in the 'old days' manufacturers were able to get away with "6 berth" vans that only had 4 travel seats because people were ok about using side facing seats when travelling. That meant that the vans could be shorter. Not so these days. So its not just our obsession for extra space it the impact of better safety regs also.

When we are done with this one (not for many years yet) the plan would be to downsize. However, if we cant afford that then we may just convert the u-lounge into a fixed double and have lots of space for the two of us :-)

As for going into towns. We do this all the time but finding parking is quiet difficult. We can slip her into a standard parking space but there has to be bit of grass or some such at the back that we can have the arse hang over.

And BTW who is Topsy the dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 detour.camper

I would have to say that the smaller vans have a big advantage, when it comes to fuel efficency these days along with the ease of driving, and parking in towns. A lot of our customers prefer the smaller size as its easier to drive around a country that they are not familiar with. On the downside you do need to be a lot more organised in a smaller campervan. If ther weather is dry most of the time is spent outside. For those slightly damper days its a long time in a small space.

Tomas
    Detour Campervan Hire
    www.detour.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

The smaller 'vans have a great advantage over the majority of 'vans that are on the road today.
    My 2 berth Bedford Romahome is no longer or wider than a large 4 x 4. Width 1.65 mtrs, wheelbase 1.84 mtrs with overall length 3.85 mtrs.

I haven't yet found a country lane that I couldn't drive down or a car park/parking space that I couldn't get into and park properly taking up only one space. This means that I get to places that others can't without having to have bikes strapped on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

WildWater wrote: »
    And BTW who is Topsy the dog?

editted , I was slightly mixed up , Topsy was a slave girl in Uncle Tom's cabin , who when asked how she got so big, she replied , " I 'spec I just growed." :p
    I would have to say that the smaller vans have a big advantage, when it comes to fuel efficency ...........For those slightly damper days its a long time in a small space.

Tomas

2 posts , in9 months , both ads? Nice contribution there Tomas:rolleyes: . Agree what you say though , organisation is king in a small camper.

@I_G_M , the Romahomes are a lesson in packaging to be fair , but can you stand up in it?

@SpaceHopper ;
    Come to think of it, you are here both as a camper enthusiast and a professional, I've never seen a campsite owner come on here and tell us what that can do for us.....
    Not quite sure what you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    @SpaceHopper ;
    Not quite sure what you mean?
    It's not meant as a dig at you so please don't worry.

People lucky enough to have big motor homes don't need campsites as they have everything they need with them, why aren't campsite owners coming on here to show how their service is of value to us so we can all have smaller vans without showers.... and use a camp sites instead.

Personally I wild camp as much as possible, if the misses is with me I might go to a camp site but if I'm surfing I wild camp somewhere quite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Aidan M M,

Re: standing up in my Romahome.

I agree that this is the one drawback. Only possible to stand up in the kitchen area at the back, but for one or two people going away for just weekends or 2 or 3 days it's no problem, you get used to it very quickly.

I've found that publicans are quite happy for me to stay overnight in their car park and some have even let me in early in the morning to use the toilets!:) which is very handy.

Every thing has its pros and cons.

I was talking to one owner of a large camper and he asked if mine was for sale as he wanted a small 'van just for himself to go on w/end fishing trips alone.

It's not meant as a dig at you so please don't worry.

People lucky enough to have big motor homes don't need campsites as they have everything they need with them, why aren't campsite owners coming on here to show how their service is of value to us so we can all have smaller vans without showers.... and use a camp sites instead.

Personally I wild camp as much as possible, if the misses is with me I might go to a camp site but if I'm surfing I wild camp somewhere quite.

Oh i knew it wasn't a dig , no worries.

Any nice places by the sea that are safe , and easy to get to? Would like to bring a special friend camping by the sea.... PM if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭WildWater

Would like to bring a special friend camping by the sea.... PM if you like.

Topsy? :D:D:D

not quite! lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Is it time the manufacturers started thinking small again? Are we obsessed with having more space inside than Star Wars?
    I would think it's to do with a Motorhome being big to start with compared to a family car. Stepping up from a car, does the extra length really make that much difference, especially in the age of reversing cameras?

There is also the issue of safety as already mentioned, which I think the manufacturers take heed from, but then are quite restricting with. I can't think of any over cab models that have swing front seats and 2 travel seats, and then a rear lounge/ bunks. That could potentially reduce the length a good bit. They inevitably go for the driver & passenger seat, 4 person dinnette, and then configure from there in 4 travel seat models. If that makes sense? Why can't they/ don't they do up front like a low profile or an A class, only with a full over cab bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

we have a 07 adria twin as well. while its not the biggest, if you do get to a car park in town it takes a space and a half length wise, means that your reluctant to park in a town centre.

id honestly recommend everybody to have a look into an adria twin it has lots of space and every body that tends to look at it on camp-sites are shocked by how much space it has.most frequent response I must get rid of the other half and get one for my self:D sorry for going off topic

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I would think it's to do with a Motorhome being big to start with compared to a family car. Stepping up from a car, does the extra length really make that much difference, especially in the age of reversing cameras?

There is also the issue of safety as already mentioned, which I think the manufacturers take heed from, but then are quite restricting with. I can't think of any over cab models that have swing front seats and 2 travel seats, and then a rear lounge/ bunks. That could potentially reduce the length a good bit. They inevitably go for the driver & passenger seat, 4 person dinnette, and then configure from there in 4 travel seat models. If that makes sense? Why can't they/ don't they do up front like a low profile or an A class, only with a full over cab bed?

Most lo-pros in the last few years have the permanent bed , rather than the the rear lounge I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭SARZY

I wonder if its to do with manufacturing capabilities and newer materials and construction methods.
    I suppose when you have a target of say 3,000 kgs completed, its good business to get as much space and equipment and quality of finish to attract customers.
    For me anyway, in Irish weather conditions and using the van all year, where possible, the more space available the better.
    When I am lucky enough to get to France say and in really good weather, I often think that a tent would do the job.
    As well as that, whats described as a 6 berth would be grand for 2 adults and 4 kids.
    Three lads would fill the same space with a bit of comfort.

Advertisement