Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know where I can get netting?

Options
  • 08-03-2012 4:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭

I'm in Ennis and looking for lengths of netting not too expensive. Does anyone know where I can get it? I built my own pitching frame and I need some durable tightish woven netting for the back of it kind of like the sort you see holding back hedges from public roads. Thanks in advance. I was using carpet as suggested by a friend but after just a few days it's cracking.
    417020_3242272010209_1069082347_33313421_1471503108_n.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

eBay!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I would say the normal suspects should be able to help you out, somewhere like Shannonside, Jimmy Brohan's or John O'Dwyers. I'd imagine what you're looking for would need to be fine enough to stop a golf ball, a Garden Centre (maybe the 1 out the Tulla Road) would be your best bet, either that or the Co-Op in Sixmilebridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

Mcinerneys yard on the mill road should have that sort of thing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Great call on McInerney's, they should definitely have it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Clareman wrote: »
    I would say the normal suspects should be able to help you out, somewhere like Shannonside, Jimmy Brohan's or John O'Dwyers. I'd imagine what you're looking for would need to be fine enough to stop a golf ball, a Garden Centre (maybe the 1 out the Tulla Road) would be your best bet, either that or the Co-Op in Sixmilebridge.
    Except for Jimmy Brohan I hadn't even heard of the other spots. Cheers will check em out.

• Advertisement

Great call on McInerney's, they should definitely have it
    Nice one gang. I'll remember the names when I'm a millionaire golfer!!!

CptSternn wrote: »
    Cheers for that. Standing in mcinerneys right now with a 6 x 4 metre net. Dunno if it's strong enough but worth a go for 8.50. If it doesn't work out I'll go down the other options.

Head up to the Golf Club, they have driving nets up there and might be able to put you in contact with whoever supplies them, either that or ask at PM Golf, Martin Ward (or Walsh not sure) works both shops and is usually great with advice

Head up to the Golf Club, they have driving nets up there and might be able to put you in contact with whoever supplies them, either that or ask at PM Golf, Martin Ward (or Walsh not sure) works both shops and is usually great with advice
    The ones in the golf club will set you back a few grand and when I asked in the shop he tried to sell me one. I went down to market hardware but they were closed at 5 so will have to try 2moro.

• Advertisement

All they are are a few pieces of scaffolding poles and joints, but what you've made is just as good if not better. I take it the 6x4 didn't do the job?

BTW, I would imagine you'd be better off having 2 nets, 1 at the front to take most of the impact and a second further back to catch the ball. Another option could be normal cloth, windows nets (whatever they are called) or something like that, in the past I would have said Bowsie Casey's but I don't know where you'd go now.

All they are are a few pieces of scaffolding poles and joints, but what you've made is just as good if not better. I take it the 6x4 didn't do the job?

BTW, I would imagine you'd be better off having 2 nets, 1 at the front to take most of the impact and a second further back to catch the ball. Another option could be normal cloth, windows nets (whatever they are called) or something like that, in the past I would have said Bowsie Casey's but I don't know where you'd go now.
    No I used the 6 x 4 for the top and sides and it seems to be enough but not for the direct shots and certainly not the drives. If I don't get tougher net I'll just stick the carpet back up with another piece in the middle for reinforcement.

Ah yeah good oil Bowsie Casey. The merchant of Ennis is sorely missed today lol.

I got a mail from The Garden Shop this morning and noticed it has gardening netting for sale which I think should cover what you're looking for

http://www.thegardenshop.ie/netting.html

I got a mail from The Garden Shop this morning and noticed it has gardening netting for sale which I think should cover what you're looking for

http://www.thegardenshop.ie/netting.html
    Cheers Clareman. That's pretty much the stuff I got at McInerneys. I was just up at O'Dwyers there and they have exactly what I'm after but in a 50 metre roll. It's only €45 but it's way too much quantity. I've gone from none to too much lol. Might get it if a neighbour or whatever has use for the extra.

I'd say I got what I was after anyway so feel free to wrap up the thread.

Advertisement