Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army Veterinary Corps WW1

Options
  • 07-03-2012 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi. Just discovered this forum.

My grandfather was from Ballinasloe and served in France as a vet or horse wrangler. His medal record indicates he was sgt in 'AVC'. Is there any way I can research his service? There are family stories that I would like to check out. Is there a regimental archive anywhere I could contact? Unfortunately, his service medals were given away to a relative a few years ago. Happily, he survived the war.

Any help appreciated.

Fat biker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You should be able to access some of his military records. There is a contact address in Britain, but I don't know it off hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Only one third of records survive for British WW1 soldiers,most having been lost due to the blitz on London during WW2.The National Archives at Kew in London hold the records but they are online also and can be checked on Ancestry,worth having a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

Fatbiker wrote: »
    Hi. Just discovered this forum.

My grandfather was from Ballinasloe and served in France as a vet or horse wrangler. His medal record indicates he was sgt in 'AVC'. Is there any way I can research his service? There are family stories that I would like to check out. Is there a regimental archive anywhere I could contact? Unfortunately, his service medals were given away to a relative a few years ago. Happily, he survived the war.

Any help appreciated.

Fat biker

if you put up his name and army number if you have it , myself or someone else will have a look on ancestry.uk for you . the least you will get is his medal index card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

4 members of the Army Veterinary Corps from Ireland died in WW1 according to Ireland's Memorial Records (but this is not totally accurate). 2 died on the 10/10/1918, one at "Home", one on the RMS Leinster.

The RDS in Ballsbridge was used as an Army Remount depot through WW1 and I believe that this was connected to the railway that went to Kingstown ie for loading onto ships travelling to Wales/England.

There are 4 pension records on Ancestry for Veterinary Corps personnel from Ireland (Curley, Eccles, Kidd, Taylor). No service records that I can see.

A search of Soldiers Died in the Great War for Ballinasloe brings up 47 casualties who were born, lived or enlisted in Ballinasloe.

If you type the following search term in Google

ballinasloe site:cwgc.org

it will pull up references to Ballinasloe on the CWGC website.

One officer killed during the Bloody Sunday operation was formerly in the Royal Army Veterinary Corps. Killed in error.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The RDS in Ballsbridge was used as an Army Remount depot through WW1 and I believe that this was connected to the railway that went to Kingstown ie for loading onto ships travelling to Wales/England.
    While there was a cattle siding (I'm sure horses could use it also) for the RDS on the current Sweepstakes / AIB site, I suspect an RDS-Kingstown trip wouldn't have happened.

HOrses would have been walked / ridden the distance and soldiers would have boarded a train at Lansdowne Road or indeed walked themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Fatbiker

if you put up his name and army number if you have it , myself or someone else will have a look on ancestry.uk for you . the least you will get is his medal index card.
    Thank you. Would it be ok to pm you the details? I have them on work pc and can't access boards there. Thanks. FB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

Thank you. Would it be ok to pm you the details? I have them on work pc and can't access boards there. Thanks. FB

no bother. PM would be fine.

Victor wrote: »
    While there was a cattle siding (I'm sure horses could use it also) for the RDS on the current Sweepstakes / AIB site, I suspect an RDS-Kingstown trip wouldn't have happened.

HOrses would have been walked / ridden the distance and soldiers would have boarded a train at Lansdowne Road or indeed walked themselves.

it is a supposition on my part that the horses would/could have travelled by train. One of the RDS archivists has told me they have no photos of the army remount unit operating there at the time but may have some info in their reports. I'll be popping in to take a look on my next trip to Dublin.

The first Tank Corps casualty in Ireland was killed on this siding in 1917 whilst unloading a tank from a train.

no bother. PM would be fine.
    Could you possibly pm me your email so I can email you the pdf of the medal record? I am juggling the work pc with the wife's ipad at home. Many thanks, Ken

Ken, what did your man do before/after the war?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Lusk, North Co Dublin was the Main Army Remount Depot(No.1) in Ireland for many years up until it was burnt down during the War of Independence.

http://www.fingal-independent.ie/local-notes/night-the-lusk-ira-men-torched-remount-farm-782745.html

http://www.fingal-independent.ie/lifestyle/features/when-lusk-supplied-horses-for-british-army-788114.html

Military Archives site has 29 maps/drawings relating to the search word remount, 28 concern Lusk and 1 the RDS site.

http://www.militaryarchives.ie/collections/online-collections/maps-plans-drawings-collection/history

UK WW1 Remount Recruitment Poster
    http://www.vads.ac.uk/large.php?uid=27981

Ken, what did your man do before/after the war?
    Sorry Johnny, forgot your post in haste to try emailing R.Dub...my grandfather was hackney driver and undertaker in Ballinasloe. FB

typed in Remount and up came 29 docs re Lusk and 1 re the RDS. Interesting stuff.

Sorry Johnny, forgot your post in haste to try emailing R.Dub...my grandfather was hackney driver and undertaker in Ballinasloe. FB

no prob.

Sounds like he would have had good experience with horses then.

no prob.

Sounds like he would have had good experience with horses then.
    Yeah. We have a picture of his horsedrawn hearse that could have come straight from a Dracula movie. There is a book by Fr. Declan Kelly about Ballinasloe that has more pics etc...not relevant here I guess:D

Advertisement