Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of Kilkee?

Options
  • 07-03-2012 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

I've been going to Kilkee for my summers since I was around 3 years old and I still love it but over the years I have heard some pretty negative remarks about it. Whats your opinion on the town? These are some of the things I've heard

* The West end (near the diving boards) is too posh, and the East end (Waterworld area) is too full of Knackers

* Nothing to do for if you don't like Swimming or Walking (E.G. Only two or three tennis courts, including the one beside the beach on the West end which is privately owned by the yellow houses beside it )

* Too full of People from Limerick

* Too crowded on weekends especially during the Easter and Summer holidays

* Everything is closed in winter (I suppose this one is true)

* Beach is too full of seaweed

* Crowded with travelers and trouble makers on the August Bank Holiday

* Expensive cars around Wellington and Merton Square and along the road to the Pollack Holes drive too fast down these roads and dont care about Pedestrians.

I agree with some more than others but the last one definitely doesn't sound right? Other than bad parking I have never seen this happen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

I've been going to Kilkee for my summers since I was around 3 years old and I still love it but over the years I have heard some pretty negative remarks about it. Whats your opinion on the town? These are some of the things I've heard

* The West end (near the diving boards) is too posh, and the East end (Waterworld area) is too full of Knackers

* Nothing to do for if you don't like Swimming or Walking (E.G. Only two or three tennis courts, including the one beside the beach on the West end which is privately owned by the yellow houses beside it )

* Expensive cars around Wellington and Merton Square and along the road to the Pollack Holes drive too fast down these roads and dont care about Pedestrians.

I agree with some more than others but the last one definitely doesn't sound right? Other than bad parking I have never seen this happen?

This thread has 'stirring' written all over it. It'll turn into 'anti Limerick', 'anti Travellers', 'anti Kilkee' etc.
    Everyone has different opinions of places but thats up to them, I can see this turning into a big disagreement.

I hope it doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

If wasn't too busy at certain weekends and/or full of people from Limerick, it would be a tiny rural coastal town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

It's kinda funny to see a poster from Limerick saying that there are too many people from Limerick there. :)

Most of the people from Limerick own homes or caravans there. They make up a majority of the community. Nothing wrong with that as they are the lifeblood of the area.

Whereas there may be some truth to each of those statements I personally don't see any as being a bad thing. It's a great spot and none of that detracts anything from my viewpoint of it sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I'd really love to own one of those houses in the West End. Maybe some day I will win the lotto :)

I like this picture of the Strand Races in Kilkee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Kilkee is probably my favourite beach. It's a bit more sheltered that the others if the weather isn't great.

These complaints all seem pretty trivial. Nowhere is perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭alibride

much prefer the rolling waves in lahinch and lots more place to eat in lahinch too!! but then lahinch is full of ennis people - kilkee is great as i never meet anyone i know (cause they are all from limerick)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭ShaneMc2012

I realized after I posted it that it could turn into a disagreement but it hasnt so far and lets keep it that way! :) Ya I agree I suppose they are all pretty trivial but I heard the Limerick people thing from a Clare man and wondered what ye all thought of it. Just again im not Anti-Kilkee as I said I love the place earlier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Explosions in the Sky

Dam what is with all the bashing of places in Clare today, Kilrush and now Kilkee, paging Clareman with a big lock in hand :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Paging is sooooooooooooooo 90s, actually I still have an 088 pager upstairs, I just found it a few months back.

Anyway, I see someone questioning my moderating style and saying I lock threads very quickly, if people want to bash Clare places, feel free to, the internet is a HUGE place I won't stop you.
    If you want to bash Clare places on boards, feel free to, boards is a HUGE place.
    IF you want to bash Clare on boards on the Clare section, feel free to, there are a number of mods and CMods and Admins that will review any decision that is made, bare in mind that 1 of the Mods may have played football, handball and hurling for the county, might think an awful lot of the county, might think that as Clare is a very progressive county that people bringing up old sterotypes can be very annoying, but never mind all that, gwan again about what you want to talk about it.

EditI just went through the first 10 pages of the forums and found 2 threads I closed, here they are in case anyone wants to question my thoughts.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055874506
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056497513&page=2

In case anyone things TLDR, the first 1 is a Zombie thread, the second 1 was a Shannon airport attack story that went a bit mad

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

I doubt the word posh could be used. That staement has "stir the pot written all over it

There are ten in total. I am pretty sure that is more than you will get in Lahinch or Ballbunion

There are people from all over Ireland.

The lcoal publicans would disagree. Also I have never heard of a "too crowded" holiday resort in Ireland.

Yet they have 35 business in the Chamber of Commerce hhhmmmmm

Seaweed is cleared every May weekend. The seweed comes in Winter from storms.

Are travelers and troublemakers the same thing? Says a lot about you that you conflate the two. For the record travelers seldom come to Kilkee.

Perhaps with all this fast driving you can link us something which showed the accident rate in these areas. None I believe in living memory

It also consistently ranked by Bord Faílte surveys as being in the top three seaside resorts in Ireland. Don't have a link but I am sure Bord Faílte could provide the info.

• Advertisement

Palmach wrote: »
    It also consistently ranked by Bord Faílte surveys as being in the top three seaside resorts in Ireland. Don't have a link but I am sure Bord Faílte could provide the info.

I doubt the word posh could be used. That staement has "stir the pot written all over it

Did I say these are my opinions? I have a house in the West End for god sake and I wouldnt call myself posh

There are ten in total. I am pretty sure that is more than you will get in Lahinch or Ballbunion

Could you point me in the direction of the other 5? The one above is private, the 3 in Moore Bay are also for the residents, the only other one i think I've ever heard of is the one near the church?

There are people from all over Ireland.

Lets face it, most of the people are from Limerick

The lcoal publicans would disagree. Also I have never heard of a "too crowded" holiday resort in Ireland.

For a town so small 25,000 during the summer month's is massive

Yet they have 35 business in the Chamber of Commerce hhhmmmmm

Are these 35 open in winter?

Seaweed is cleared every May weekend. The seweed comes in Winter from storms.

So its only cleared once a year?

Are travelers and troublemakers the same thing? Says a lot about you that you conflate the two. For the record travelers seldom come to Kilkee.

I said travelers and trouble makers. I never said they're the same thing. I also said during the August Bank holiday, I didnt say they're always there.

Perhaps with all this fast driving you can link us something which showed the accident rate in these areas. None I believe in living memory

Look at the original post and you'll see that I said I never saw this happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

Ah ffs...... can yous post proper replies please? its difficult to fathom out who is replying to what when all the text is heaped up together. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

too much salt in the water for my liking too, god damn County Council!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Clareman wrote: »
    Paging is sooooooooooooooo 90s, actually I still have an 088 pager upstairs, I just found it a few months back.
    Ah Clareman, all the rescue types still use pages ;) that how we see you haha....

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

To be fair, there was a serious accident some years back (well inside the 'living memory' period) where a car drove straight through the wall at the sharp bend. It was probably about eight years ago maybe more, but certainly a stretch to say 'None I believe in living memory'.

Much prefer Lahinch myself anyways, but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭German pointer

To be fair, there was a serious accident some years back (well inside the 'living memory' period) where a car drove straight through the wall at the sharp bend. It was probably about eight years ago maybe more, but certainly a stretch to say 'None I believe in living memory'.

Was that not "joy riders" ? if memory serves me it was a stolen BMW that was used. and only a one off.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Still counts though surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

That crash was in Carrigaholt, not Kilkee, a very distinct difference.

WakeyTyke wrote: »
    That crash was in Carrigaholt, not Kilkee, a very distinct difference.

You have the wrong crash 3 kids were killed in that and the car was not stolen, the one we are talking about took out a section of wall on the west end

Wasn't the whole reason they fixed up that sea wall near Clifton Terrace because a car crashed through it? I'm open to correction on this though as I could be wrong

• Advertisement

Wasn't the whole reason they fixed up that sea wall near Clifton Terrace because a car crashed through it? I'm open to correction on this though as I could be wrong

That is the one I am talking about. Car nearly went onto the rocks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

I think the standard of driving is the least of the problems in Kilkee. I like Kilkee but I don't think it is perfect.
    Shops don't open early enough in the morning.
    The night life can be a bit boring. Some of the pubs are quite rough and there is one publican with a smirk who absolutely sickens me to look at when I am in his pub.
    The lunch time offerings are not great. It seems there is little demand for lunch in Kilkee. It is all coffee shop stuff.
    I find Kilkee a relaxing place. There is very good swimming and hillwalking and I like the work being done by the Kilkee Civic Trust. The summer lectures are great and their other activities mean that not all entertainment involves loud music in a pub or hotel bar. If the Trust can keep it up, they will make Kilkee a pleasant upmarket destination. The town looks clean and well maintained by day and it is a pity that there is some rowdiness at night.
    The guards closing the pubs early is a pain. Have they no homes to go to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Over the last thirty years the sea wall from the White Walls towards Syke's corner was hit twice, once someone coming down from Dunlickey (car did not fall in, but hung there) and into the corner at Syke's by a motorbike (if not mistaken) coming from Kilkee Town heading for Pollock Hole area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 burnt oak

Love Kilkee. As I'm from Kerry, i never meet anyone I know - which makes for a relaxing break. Was thinking if investing in one of the Moore Bay holiday homes - just a little worried to see so many for sale. Why???? Anyone know if there's a problem with the plumbing - or the management company ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

burnt oak wrote: »
    Love Kilkee. As I'm from Kerry, i never meet anyone I know - which makes for a relaxing break. Was thinking if investing in one of the Moore Bay holiday homes - just a little worried to see so many for sale. Why???? Anyone know if there's a problem with the plumbing - or the management company ?????

They were investment properties and they have come to the end of their 10 year tax breaks which is why they are being sold off. They seem to be ok inside. Never heard of any real problems with them. Look around though. The folks say there is value to be had.

I heard a lot of them were for sale because one of the feuding families moved in there and there has been a small bit of trouble. I think it could have been the McCarthey-Dundons. That might not be true but id still stay away from the place. I think Atlantic View offers better value aswell, this one is more expensive but you have a view! http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=641760

I heard a lot of them were for sale because one of the feuding families moved in there and there has been a small bit of trouble. I think it could have been the McCarthey-Dundons. That might not be true but id still stay away from the place. I think Atlantic View offers better value aswell, this one is more expensive but you have a view! http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=641760

Someone in my family has a house there, they only bught it about 2 years ago and use it all the time and have never seen any trouble there or even a hint of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭finbarrk

They are fine. As someone said it's the section 23 tax break thing. They can sell them now as they have them for over 10 years.

Advertisement