Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Certification (MCPD)

Options
  • 07-03-2012 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

Friend of mine is taking a few months off day-to-day work for medical reasons and was asking me about the MS Certs available. I have not completed them myself, so I can't answer his questions obviously.

Has anyone here completed these exams? Are they worth the effort considering the cost? Are there any free mock papers from the exams available online that he can have a look at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mickquinn05

Yep these exams are well worth while they would be way more highly regarded that college time, depends on what way your friend is headed eg. server administrator, applications and so on, they are fairly cheap about €65 per exam but the learning part is up to him/her self, a lot of good stuff on amazon, plus microsoft also have a lot of helpful guides aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

who exactly holds these in higher regard than college time mickey?

The people who matter, employers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

The people who matter, employers

I think you'd need the college qualification before these would be taken into account though. They aren't a replacement.

Please divulge - why would employers rate a Microsoft exam over understanding the principles of programming development?

• Advertisement

Agree, but you can give 4 years or whatever in college and still not have have any real world experience, but with these exams they show you can do the specific tasks, Its only my opinion but if I was heading abroad and applying for jobs I would rather have the MCITP than saying I spent 4 years in some IT in a place they never heard of

Agree, but you can give 4 years or whatever in college and still not have have any real world experience, but with these exams they show you can do the specific tasks,

Fraid not son - you have shown you can pass an exam - Microsoft exams, though I havent looked at them recently were notoriously known for being easy to cram, just repeating answers from a finite number of possible questions
    Its only my opinion but if I was heading abroad and applying for jobs I would rather have the MCITP than saying I spent 4 years in some IT in a place they never heard of

I think you might be underestimating the relationships between colleges in different countries

Fair enough not gonna argue over it

Did you used to play football mickey?

Dunno where this is going, but yeah years ago as in Under 14s

• Advertisement

Doing research for social engineering

Was a joke Mickey...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭OneIdea

COYW wrote: »
    Friend of mine is taking a few months off day-to-day work for medical reasons and was asking me about the MS Certs available. I have not completed them myself, so I can't answer his questions obviously.

Has anyone here completed these exams? Are they worth the effort considering the cost? Are there any free mock papers from the exams available online that he can have a look at?

Eh.. what about trying a FAS ( http://www.ecollege.ie/site/pages/courses.html ) online course, it might suite your friend, no travel, no pressure etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

I've done them in ASP.NET and VB.NET and yeah they are very thorough... ALTHOUGH probably only if you are going in blind and don't know what to expect in the exams like I did (and therefore have to cover pretty much everything). I imagine they are fairly crammable alright if you know what to expect.
    Please divulge - why would employers rate a Microsoft exam over understanding the principles of programming development?
    I imagine it's because they quite often (in my experience) just want a person who can do what they are looking for, program in desired language + framework, and aren't too worried if they can tell the difference between a linked list and a binary tree

Advertisement