Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Squirrel likely in Co. Kildare or the Burren?

Options
  • 07-03-2012 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

Title may seem a bit strange, I'm trying to verify sightings in both places.

A couple of family members in Co. Kildare have said they saw Red Squirrels - I suspect they may have been Grey Squirrels as I thought Reds were confined to further west. Greys can look a little red in colour in the right light so I reckon they saw red, but not necessarily Red by species. Any thoughts or knowledge to contribute.

I saw a squirrel down in Co. Clare a month or two ago that looked to have longer ears than I'm used to seeing and looked less family than the guys I'm used to seeing. I got a very brief glimpse though as I went by in a car.

Are their Reds down in Clare in the vicinity of the Burren?

Thanks a lot.

Alan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 mecksimay

Hi Alan,

There are reds distributed throughout the country. The most recent survey was undertaken in 2007 and there is a new all Ireland squirrel survey on the way. Check out www.woodlandmammals.com for information on various research that is being undertaken by the Mammal Ecology Group in NUIG. Check out the most recent survey at the following link: http://www.coford.ie/iopen24/pub/irishsquirrelsurvey2007revised.pdf On www.woodlandmammals.com there is a desription of both species of squirrel which hopefull will aid identification. If you have a photographs of the squirrels you are seeing in Kildare you can email the Mammal Ecology Group in NUIG, they'd be more than happy to have a sighting record for Kildare.

Mecksimay

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭fits

Greys can look quite red, but when you see a red, you know its a red and theres no doubt.

Red squirrels seem to be making a comeback wherever the pine marten is, so quite possible that they're in the burren.

Not so sure about Kildare, some gamekeepers have controlled greys in certain parts of wicklow at least so there are some reds still around in areas.

Personally, I havent seen a red squirrel in about five years :(

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Thanks lads.

I know there are pine martens nearby in Kildare so maybe they were Red.

I had date in my own sighting but doubted the other guys.

Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

My Dad pointed out a red squirrel years ago to me in Coole Park which is on the edge of The Burren! 025.gif
    http://www.coolepark.ie/index.html

Advertisement