Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPD

Options
  • 07-03-2012 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi all burning question I need to ask as I'm currently dreading the birth already and I'm only 11 weeks in :eek:.
    With my 2nd pregnancy I developed SPD which caused a lot of discomfort day to day and I had to use a support strap for the bump and a crutch to walk. Had physio during one session the therapist measured how far I could open my legs without causing pain in my hips and pubic bone. I was told to tell this distance to the midwife when I eventually went into labour.
    Cut to D day and the midwife there ignored this when I told her with a flippant remark of "oh sorry I forgot to bring my tape measure today" and start laughing :mad:. I had been advised not to get the epidural as I wouldnt be able to feel if I was doing damage to myself ie any displacement.
    When I was pushing I honestly could not control myself, as much as I wanted to keep pushing to get it over with I couldn't stop myself from closing my legs to where it wouldnt hurt. the midwife ignored when I asked to see the dr and brought in another midwife to actually lean down and hold my legs open! ended up needing physio for 6 months afterwards. It was a horrible experience I wouldn't wish on anyone. Just wondering is this typical for all SPD sufferers or is there anything I can do/ request differently this time around? Cos honestly I am terrified at the thoughts of it, I couldnt even feel the contractions or normal labour pains only the pain in my bones and no amount of gas or air helped those ease!
    Sorry for the long post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

sassa wrote: »
    Hi all burning question I need to ask as I'm currently dreading the birth already and I'm only 11 weeks in :eek:.
    With my 2nd pregnancy I developed SPD which caused a lot of discomfort day to day and I had to use a support strap for the bump and a crutch to walk. Had physio during one session the therapist measured how far I could open my legs without causing pain in my hips and pubic bone. I was told to tell this distance to the midwife when I eventually went into labour.
    Cut to D day and the midwife there ignored this when I told her with a flippant remark of "oh sorry I forgot to bring my tape measure today" and start laughing :mad:. I had been advised not to get the epidural as I wouldnt be able to feel if I was doing damage to myself ie any displacement.
    When I was pushing I honestly could not control myself, as much as I wanted to keep pushing to get it over with I couldn't stop myself from closing my legs to where it wouldnt hurt. the midwife ignored when I asked to see the dr and brought in another midwife to actually lean down and hold my legs open! ended up needing physio for 6 months afterwards. It was a horrible experience I wouldn't wish on anyone. Just wondering is this typical for all SPD sufferers or is there anything I can do/ request differently this time around? Cos honestly I am terrified at the thoughts of it, I couldnt even feel the contractions or normal labour pains only the pain in my bones and no amount of gas or air helped those ease!
    Sorry for the long post

I cant really offer any advice but I hope you put in a complaint about your midwife as that's outrageous behaviour!
    I can have problems with my hips so have concerns about labour from that aspect so am planning on talking to my consultant about it when I see him next.
    I would hope that you were just really unfortunate to meet a cow last time and that most midwives would take your health into concern during labour!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭sassa

I put a complaint in as did the physio as she was disgusted at her behavior. One things for sure if I see her coming in this time I'll be screaming at them to get her out she was a total cow!
    The midwives I had with my first daughter were everything midwives should be couldn't have asked for a better experience for a first time mother.
    Hope your consultant is very helpful and gives you good advice and treatment for your hips. God knows pregnancy can be hard enough without having even more problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

I am so glad to hear that you did complain & also that your physio did also...shows you that it was totally inappropriate behaviour! Hopefully she left with the retirement scheme ;)
    My hips are generally fine on a day to day basis but are regarded as being an unstable hip joint so I worry that hours in labour position might give me problems :) my consultant is lovely so fingers crossed he will be able to advise on what will be best :) I am all for an epi but your post has got me thinking that might not be best for my hips!
    Good luck with this one...hopefully it will be like your first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have a similar situation, on my first I had sciatica in my left leg, had epi, it kinda worked, I pushed for 2 hours. I was pretty fine afterwards until on day in town my leg went while I was holding the carseat with the baby in it. After that it went a few times in work when I was carrying something heavy

This time I was crippled with sciatica in both legs from wk 20. I told the midwife at the 35 week appointment there was no way I would be able to put both legs in the position that they were in last time. She just advised on all fours etc. I was using the tens machine daily from week 28.

When I had the baby, I was only in the hospital 23 minutes when he was born. I was lying on the bed with my torso at a 45 degree angle to my legs, my other half was holding my shoulders to keep me on the bed. He tried to tell the midwife I was suffering with sciaticia but she was trying to get me to push etc.

I too kept closing my legs but he was out in 4 pushes. It was afterwards when they were trying to cut the cord etc, I was putting my knees together. My other half had to explain to her why I was doing this. As he said, I couldnt get out of the car without putting my knees together.

Later she did ask me for details of my complaint, she wasnt really aware that it could be that bad. She said I was the only lady she met that complained about sciatiaca while getting labour pains!

I got some gas, in the minutes after the birth I was in agony with sciaticia, my nerves were burning, it was worse than tooth ache, worse than labour pains!!

Its bad now and I will bring it up at the 6 week check up on Monday, I doubt physio can do much for it.

I think you are taking the right route telling your doctor now and making sure that it's in you notes. Also write it in your birth plan and give it to you birth partner. I hope someone has better advice as it is so avoidable with planning. Best of luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭sassa

Already getting pains in my hips and don't have my booking in appointment untill 11th april God only knows when I'll get the actual first appointment with the hospital doctor after that :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement