Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forced to use Airtricity as electrical suppliers - options?

Options
  • 07-03-2012 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭

Not sure if anybody has a solution here, but I've found myself inheriting an unwanted relationship with Airtricity because of landlord/previous tenant mess up.

Let me explain. I moved into an apartment at the end of January. There was gas - supplied by Bord Gais, and electricity, which I incorrectly assumed was on the ESB supply.

I got a letter quickly enough from Bord Gais, cheerily welcoming me and looking for a 300 euro deposit, so I paid that (as I didn't know I could pay less if I signed up to a direct debit) but heard nothing from electricity suppliers until this week.

Then this week two letters arrived from Airtricity addressed to the last tenant. As he was gone for about 3 months I took the liberty of checking them - and my worst fears were confirmed when they turned out to be last warning looking for about 150 euro to be paid or the electricity would be cut off.

I rang the estate agent (the landlady is actually his mother) and they apologised and said because of new CER regulations they were no longer able to do the change themselves. They gave me the details for Airtricity and I phoned them up.

Now the problem is this. I have had an ESB account in my last tenancy so if I was with them I wouldn't be billed and obscene 200 euro as a welcome. So obviously, I'd prefer to be with ESB. But as it is, I've been forced to change the Airtricity account into my own name and within 24 hours they've already sent me a bill for 200 euro deposit. What I want to do is to pay any outstanding charges and change back to ESB.

Its not that I erroneously believe that ESB are any cheaper, but any savings I would have made on Airtricity would be more than wiped out by the humungous deposit which I'd rather not have to pay for both utilities.

So the questions is, can I do this and if I do, will I get my deposit back from Airtrcity straight away?

1. They've billed me 200 euro deposit to be paid by DD in 2 weeks time so I don't have any choice but to pay that
    2. Pay the first bill when it comes
    3. Then change back to ESB

If I do that, how long will it take to get my deposit back from Airtricity?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I think the following will work, from my understanding of the market rules.

I do not see any reason to pay Airtricity 200 euros. Ring Airtricity, tell them apologetically that you will not be paying the deposit because electric ireland are willing to take you on without a deposit. Tell them that you will need them to send you a final bill.

Contact ESB and ask them to switch you over. You will need the details from the airtricity bill. Explain that you are a previous ESB customer. Give them a current meter reading.

Airtricity will send you a final bill. Pay this bill.

If ESB tell you your meter has been 'flagged' as having bad debt, contact Airtricity, explain the situation, and ask them to remove the flag. They should not flag unless you have an actual debt of 250 euros +.

If you have problems, contact www.cer.ie. They are the regulator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi shoegirl,

As you contributed to a similar thread in our own forum, I thought that maybe I could be of assistance.
    shoegirl wrote:
    What I want to do is to pay any outstanding charges and change back to ESB.

You can do this via private message here on boards, by PM'ing myself or my colleagues. If the outstanding charges were not accrued in your own name, you shouldn't be liable for them.

Thanks,

David.

Advertisement