Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic bookkeeping course to help me get a job

Options
  • 07-03-2012 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm unemployed now a month (worked in an office - general Microsoft Word, answering phone and email enquiries) and I've been looking up different websites now on the hunt of a job.

I've seen one job that requires someone to "answer phone, recording purchases and sales, VAT returns, emails, sage accounts systems and documentation"

I've been looking at FAS Bookkeeping Courses in the hope that they may help me with the "recording purchases and sales, VAT returns, emails, sage accounts systems and documentation"..... but I can't find any information on the modules covered in the courses - I've tried emailing them but haven't got anything back...

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone here know the modules covered in the Manual & Computerised Bookeeping or Computerised Bookkeeping courses run by FAS? Or would I be better doing another course? I wanna know about basic bookkeeping, VAT returns, Sage...

Any reply appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

I have over five yrs office experience (still working) - same as yourself, answering calls, emails and general admin.

Wanted to better myself... did a payroll course with IPASS, graduated 2012. Alot of work and expensive.

Great to have a qualification but it is all manual, most employers want someone with experience in software at least, will hardly get a position in Payroll with no experience but no one willing to offer a chance to try.

So if you do decide to do Payroll, Accounting or anything with so much responsibility; try get yourself experience!!

Being unemployed could work in your favour at the moment, if you were studying payroll/accounting by night you could nab an intership during the day and in 6 months you will be equipped with great experience for a paid payroll position.
    I just find that its difficult to prove your ability with a piece of paper & a promise of loyalty these days, you do need to find a way to show what you can do... and for me .. time to get moving on it... no point doing such a course and leaving it in your past, such information expires and updates as the yrs go on, you need to keep yourself updated, it's hard work !!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭culsoh

Thanks, just started a Fetac Level 5 course in Bookkeeping (Manual and Computerised) so will look for experience when I finish it.

Advertisement