Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Navan-Slane-Dublin rail: what would it take?

Options
  • 07-03-2012 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭

An Bord Pleanala refused the Slane bypass so things aren't improving there any time soon. Obviously Dunboyne-Navan is well off in the distance. What would it take to institute limited passenger service on the Drogheda-Navan branch, getting maximum bang for a limited buck? This could be a Mon-Fri only service with the odd special. The IE 2030 report rubbished the idea but it said
    In the case of Drogheda-Navan, the analysis assumes that Clonsilla-Navan will be constructed
    and in my view unfairly lumped in an active albeit downgraded line with ones requiring full remediation if not new alignments.

Some considerations:
    1. A 6-car 22000 or 8-car 29000 set would probably be required for peak service given the limited slots into Connolly. Perhaps an extension of an existing service which starts short of Drogheda.
    2. The platform length at Navan and Duleek would therefore be longer than the basic 90m for any station stops - I think 176m is the standard length for this? (IE has disappeared the Network Statement since the website redesign)
    3. The service would have to bypass Drogheda in the short term because the branch does not have a platform and it would be expensive to provide one without a guarantee of Navan-Drogheda and Navan-Dundalk/points north demand, perhaps used to pick up a few stops from existing services and accelerate those.
    4. Some improvements to track and signalling but presumably some works have been done to allow continuation of Tara traffic.

I know RUI did a report in 2005 but that's locked away in the super-seckrit members area. It doesn't solve the problems of toll dodging trucks but that's an enforcement issue similar to issues in places like Fermoy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Where's the demand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Nobody wants to go to Drogheda at a few miles per hour only to have to board another slow train to Dublin. That is like telling all Galway to Dublin passengers they must go via Limerick.

The Navan bus services are meeting demand and are much faster and more frequent than the train could ever be, they also don't require a complete re-jig of rosters possible adding huge expense to wages bill for Irish Rail in Drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

This:
    pigsfly.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

dowlingm wrote: »
    The IE 2030 report rubbished the idea but it said and in my view unfairly lumped in an active albeit downgraded line with ones requiring full remediation if not new alignments.

It hardly surprised me. The Strategic Rail Review in 2003 gave the Navan-Drogheda project a far higher score on a cost/benefit analysis than Navan-Clonsilla.

The GNR line is actually extremely well built - it has only one level crossing, was designed to allow the addition of a double-track if required and, even after years of neglect, can comfortably handle the heaviest trains on the network.

The line has also been relaid with CWR in recent years - in fact, the permanent way is probably in better condition than several passenger lines.

The main obstacles to reopening would be automating the level crossing and providing passenger facilities at Navan station. The line is sufficiently short than it could be operated, initially at least, on a one engine in section basis between Drogheda and Navan.

If you structured the timetable correctly, you could get a decent journey time to Dublin and, if you provided a platform at Drogheda, you could also enable easy connections with the Belfast line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Nobody wants to go to Drogheda at a few miles per hour only to have to board another slow train to Dublin. That is like telling all Galway to Dublin passengers they must go via Limerick.
    What are you on about Foggy Lad. These trains would be DIRECT. The problem in fact is that a connection in Drogheda would NOT be possible and I'm being upfront in saying that's not ideal. The existing buses (as far as I can see given the rather idiosyncratic "Location Timetable" go via Ashbourne or Dunshaughlin - this service would give a no-change service to Malahide and south of there and because it would pick up en route would not be depending solely on traffic west of Drogheda.

Cookie - yeah I know, I know...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

BrianD wrote: »
    Where's the demand?
    Where's the demand for the motorways?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

CIE wrote: »
    Where's the demand for the motorways?

From the toll companies who operate them knowing the taxpayer will pick up any losses.

Viva cronyism capitalism. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Ted Mosby

Zebra3 wrote: »
    From the toll companies who operate them knowing the taxpayer will pick up any losses.

Viva cronyism capitalism. :rolleyes:

Funny how no-one ever complains about the nearly empty and tolled M3, once it was built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

You sure no-one complains...?

Advertisement