Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic Bookkeeping Courses to help me find a job

Options
  • 07-03-2012 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm unemployed now a month (worked in an office - general Microsoft Word, answering phone and email enquiries) and I've been looking up different websites now on the hunt of a job.

I've seen one job that requires someone to "answer phone, recording purchases and sales, VAT returns, emails, sage accounts systems and documentation"

I've been looking at FAS Bookkeeping Courses in the hope that they may help me with the "recording purchases and sales, VAT returns, emails, sage accounts systems and documentation"..... but I can't find any information on the modules covered in the courses - I've tried emailing them but haven't got anything back...

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone here know the modules covered in the Manual & Computerised Bookeeping or Computerised Bookkeeping courses run by FAS? Or would I be better doing another course? I wanna know about basic bookkeeping, VAT returns, Sage...

Any reply appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

have you looked into doing an accounting technician course? would be a step up from what you've currently done but would be very beneficial on the CV i reckon

http://www.accountingtechniciansireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭culsoh

I have thought of it, but was hoping to do a basic course to get a rough idea of how to VAT returns, use SAGE, do P30/35 (almost sounds like I know what they are - I don't! I just remember the other girl at work doing them!)
    I'm getting married in September so I don't wanna get into anything to heavy. Also, I thought you needed to work in an accounting environment to do the course??

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Herbalist

You can attend an intro to book keeping course (book keeping basics) and a Sage course directly with Sage although depending on location this may not suit you as its it is based in Dublin.

You could also check for any accredited training centres in your area who could provide you with training on both. It may also be worth keeping an eye out for any local night courses on these topics.

Doing a book keeping course is great as once you know the basics of book keeping you will be able to apply these to using any accounts package as while they may look different they are essentially doing the same things.

From the sound of that job description you would need to be able to input details to the accounts package. The accounts package will take care of producing the VAT return figures for you once you have filled in the details and run the report

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

yes, you could do a course directly with one of the accountancy software providers initially. This will show that you are serious about accounting roles. To get basic bookkeeping experience, your best bet is to apply for basic roles and state on your email/cover letter that its your intention to undertake the IATI or CAT course in due course and that you recently completed a sage/tas books course.

It will still be tough to get a role, but it can be done. We sometimes (as an agency) get roles for graduate level accounting staff, so best to drop me a pm and organise to get your cv over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 daisypin

I am also finding it hard to find a job and I am doing a course in IT and have all the qualifications

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 cocopin

daisypin, I am also doing a course in IT. Try the FAS website

• Registered Users Posts: 2 daisypin

Thanks for the advice I will try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hot live wire

The problem is the recession I think! Basically its a case of applying for any similar posts that come up or maybe its time to emigrate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mallowminx

I know how you feel, I think everyone is having problems finding work with the recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hanibal lector

Fas offers courses, you should check their site. Colleges often run night courses so maybe it would be worth checking it out.

• Advertisement

dont see much point in night courses after being in college all day dont think thats much help now do u?

recession has really turned this country upside down dont worry something will come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭thomlin

Hi Culsoh,

My advice to you is if you're only looking to do a course to get a job then don't unless you are really interested in doing accounting and payroll and are prepared to put in the time and effort forget it.

Neither of them are rocket science but you will be trying to compete with people who have taken the necessary courses such as ATI and IPASS or who already have experience in this area.

In my last job I replaced a girl they hired like yourself because she was cheaper than hiring someone who knew what they were doing and she made a complete mess of their accounting and payroll system, I had to go back over the previous 11 months of work she had done to correct it all.

Accounting may sound simple but you do need to know what you're doing and how to correct any mistakes you might make. Also if you are doing the payroll and you mess it up which can happen unless you can fix it you won't just have the boss breathing down your neck you will also have every employee on your back as well if they are left short etc.

If you go into accounting just because you think you can make some easy/handy money then you are in for a lot of disappointment.

I am not trying to discourage you if its what you really want to do as a career for the future just don't think that it's an easy job and you're bound to get work because you have done a basic course or advanced professional courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭culsoh

thomlin wrote: »
    Hi Culsoh,

My advice to you is if you're only looking to do a course to get a job then don't unless you are really interested in doing accounting and payroll and are prepared to put in the time and effort forget it.

Neither of them are rocket science but you will be trying to compete with people who have taken the necessary courses such as ATI and IPASS or who already have experience in this area.

In my last job I replaced a girl they hired like yourself because she was cheaper than hiring someone who knew what they were doing and she made a complete mess of their accounting and payroll system, I had to go back over the previous 11 months of work she had done to correct it all.

Accounting may sound simple but you do need to know what you're doing and how to correct any mistakes you might make. Also if you are doing the payroll and you mess it up which can happen unless you can fix it you won't just have the boss breathing down your neck you will also have every employee on your back as well if they are left short etc.

If you go into accounting just because you think you can make some easy/handy money then you are in for a lot of disappointment.

I am not trying to discourage you if its what you really want to do as a career for the future just don't think that it's an easy job and you're bound to get work because you have done a basic course or advanced professional courses.

Hi,
    No I really do have an interest in Bookkeeping, but especially payroll. I have enrolled in a night course for Manual and Computerised book keeping fetac level 5 and after that I will do the fetac level 5&6 payroll or the ipass course in payroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Noel12

In doing bookkepping as well, cant find a job either might continue my studies

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Thomasaurus

I am doing a bookkeeping course as well at the moment. Should I try to get a job now or continue with my studies.

I think that you should continue with your studies as it will stand to you in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Thomasaurus

I think you should continue your studies

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jurga78

I'm studying too, I'll be getting Advanced Accounts Diploma; now I just wonder, do employers look only for high qualification accountants / bookkeepers (like ACCA and similar) , thinking of having an ICB exam too, do you think that would improve the CV ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 silver dollar

Hi Daisypin
    I am finishing a course in Business Studies in Mallow, I would appreciate your valuable opion
    on what my next step to take.

Regards
    Silver dollar

• Advertisement

Hi Silver Dollar
    Why not consider going forward to college to gain a degree in Business Studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 silver dollar

Hi Noel 12
    Thanks for the advice

Silver dollar

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cocopin

Daisypin, no problem. If FAS doesn't work, try the MCFE website. They run very good courses there.

Advertisement