Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Therapies for anxiety?

Options
  • 07-03-2012 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there,
    Ive been suffering with chronic anxiety since August of last year. Ive tried homeopathy and recently acupuncure with some success, but I still get panicky, spacey feelings and I find it very hard to go into town, go out at night etc, although I can function fairly normally during the day, getting to work and back. Has anyone had any help with any alternative therapies or vitamins? Im on the usual meds for anxiety, xanax etc...
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭cltt97

cognitive behaviour therapy is often used for anxiety based disorders

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bardoesque

Thanks for that suggestion cltt97.
    Has anyone out there tried CBT for anxiety? and if so, how successful did you find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yes I had CBT for anxiety. I dont think I have been cured, but it has certainly made a difference. I can do things now, that I couldn't before and I am more aware of how panic attacks start, so can stop them before they start. It's all about understanding how your mind works, and training it.
    I got it through public. You have to get referred to a phych nurse, then she refers you to CBT in a hospital, it took about a year to get the appointment altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

It depends on the therapist and your belief in it/ commitment to it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Beesand

I did a combination of CBT and meditation. It definitely helps but doesn't completely cure it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement