Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest box activity

Options
  • 07-03-2012 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭

Hello all - first time post on this forum.

I have installed a nest box for the first time and have equipped it with a wireless camera. The design I used was an RSPB plan and the box was sited according to their location recommendations for height and position. The box was set up in November last.

Since mid Feb it has been visited by several Blue Tits each day - sometimes two at a time. None have started nest building yet and I was wondering when they should start moving building materials in?

I understand that it's not guaranteed that the box will be used, but when should some serious activity be expected?

The kids are hoping to see some residents move in soon. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mgwhelan

They could start building any time now or it could take a few weeks. If the two birds weren't fighting they are more than lightly a pair, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Thanks for that info - I'll keep a careful eye on it and see what happens.

I have tested the camera feed as a webstream and will put the link up, if any building starts (the empty box doesn't make very interesting viewing at the moment).

Advertisement