Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Franciscan Well Alpha Dawg IPA

Options
  • 29-02-2012 1:28pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Let us know if this is spotted anywhere in Dublin. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I always thought IPA stood for Indian Pale Ale, has it now become Irish Pale ale?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

adrian522 wrote: »
    I always thought IPA stood for Indian Pale Ale, has it now become Irish Pale ale?

It depends on the brewery. Galway Hooker and O'Hara's both call theirs Irish Pale Ale.

The Franciscan Well are saying Indian Pale Ale though.

423098_10151347677500541_204390555540_23188504_482740747_n.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

OK thanks, so is it basically the same "type" of drink regardless of where it is produced or are there significant differences between Irish and Indian Pale Ales?

Also where would Sierra Nevada pale ale fit in?

I never drank pale ale before smithwicks came out with one and since then I've tried a load of them and really like the drink, though funnily enough I don't really like the smithwicks one !!

OK thanks, so is it basically the same "type" of drink regardless of where it is produced or are there significant differences between Irish and Indian Pale Ales?

Also where would Sierra Nevada pale ale fit in?

I'm by no means an expert but I don't think there really is any distinct difference between Irish and India Pale ales. The name India Pale Ale came from "pale ale as prepared for India" so there's no reason why any country in the world can't make it. If I'm being cynical, calling it Irish Pale Ale might just be a way of garnering some "buy Irish" marketing pull.

American Pale Ales however are generally differentiated by the amount of American hops they use e.g. Cascade hops in Sierra Nevada Pale Ale as well as using cleaner yeast and different malt profiles when compared to India Pale Ale.
    I never drank pale ale before smithwicks came out with one and since then I've tried a load of them and really like the drink, though funnily enough I don't really like the smithwicks one !!

Hah, the exact opposite of what Diageo wanted Smithwick's Pale Ale to achieve. :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Shame they've reproduced the old myth that "India Pale Ales were traditionally brewed stronger".

Someone buy them a t-shirt.

Edit: It gets worse!
    "As the barrels were kept in motion by the movement of the ship at sea the yeast would stay in suspension and result in a more attenuated drier ale"
    NOOooo! The beer had to be fully attenuated before it left the brewery. It was well-known that if fermentation was still happening on the ship the barrels could explode. A drier ale: yes; but that was something that was deliberately dialled-in by the brewers, not an accident of transportation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I collected these today. can't wait to try it!

6941348193_468a625bee.jpg
    Alpha Dawg by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

Must pick some up at the weekend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Is this the 500ml bottles of fairly strong stuff they were selling for €3.50?

What price actually?

Celtic Whiskey Shop get the Franciscan special editions in the odd time so hopefully they'll have this.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

BeerNut wrote: »
    Shame they've reproduced the old myth that "India Pale Ales were traditionally brewed stronger".

Someone buy them a t-shirt.

Edit: It gets worse!
    "As the barrels were kept in motion by the movement of the ship at sea the yeast would stay in suspension and result in a more attenuated drier ale"
    NOOooo! The beer had to be fully attenuated before it left the brewery. It was well-known that if fermentation was still happening on the ship the barrels could explode. A drier ale: yes; but that was something that was deliberately dialled-in by the brewers, not an accident of transportation.

Was there an old anecdote posted on this forum some while back about the first porter being created when a gentleman of African origin accidentally fell into a vat of beer? Sometimes these stories are just about romanticising the product.

I suppose it also has to be borne in mind that a lot of beer definitions are a bit vague.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

No, this is a limited edition IPA in swing top litre bottles - 5.9%

You wouldn't know the name of the beer that I'm on about by any chance, would ya?

I was talking to the barman the Thursday after the Winterfest, who said that type of beer was a leftover from the festival. They still had them on sale when I was there the following Wednesday (this day last week). Not sure if they're still on sale.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Was there an old anecdote posted on this forum some while back about the first porter being created when a gentleman of African origin accidentally fell into a vat of beer?
    That would be this one. I think that was just a tour guide taking the piss. There is a totally separate myth about porter being the invention of a brewer called Ralph Harwood who created the first dark beer that could be poured straight from the barrel rather than mixed from different barrels.
    I suppose it also has to be borne in mind that a lot of beer definitions are a bit vague.
    This is true, but is unrelated to the history of India Pale Ale. The statement "This is an IPA" can be debated at length over a few glasses of the beer in question; the statement "This is where IPA came from" is a bit more open-and-shut.
    Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    You wouldn't know the name of the beer that I'm on about by any chance, would ya?
    White Gypsy Jul-Ól?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Spammer banned with a couple of posts deleted. Drop me a Pm if there's any questions :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

picked up a bottle on baggot street. Lovely stuff!

Advertisement