Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEFL in China (Shanghai)

Options
  • 07-03-2012 4:44am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭

First off, apologies, as I assume the questions I'm about to ask have been asked a hundred+ times already.
    So on that bombshell, let me begin.

Anyway, basically I'm interested in moving to Shanghai later this year with my wife, who is Shanghainese (yup! I just googled that).
    I've come to the conclusion that my best chance of finding work over there is in teaching English.
    However I don't hold any college/university degree (just left my second year Music Technology course *sad face).

I'm very close to signing up to this '140 Hour Combined Course'.
    I need to make a decision fast, as apparently the cost of the course will change from €349.00 to €749.00 after March 9th (surely a marketing gimmick, but I can't afford to take the chance).
    I know that there are courses with better credentials, such as CELTA, but I honestly don't have the time or the money for them at the moment.

So anyway, to the questions...
    If I do complete that 140 hour TEFL course, is there genuine opportunities for me to teach English in Shanghai?
    If so, then what kind of opportunities?
    I mean could I find work in language training schools over there with that qualification?
    Could I teach privately (as I hopefully become more experienced)?

Actually, that wasn't many questions at all
    Basically I'd just like to know if I will be able to find teaching opportunities over there.

Thanks in advance for any help that ye lovely folks can provide.
    Any and all related advice, links, cat pictures and anything else would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm sure I'll have many follow up questions anyway.

Comments

Advertisement