Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner Permit question

Options
  • 07-03-2012 12:18am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey lads,

Quick question, I had a provisional A1 license less than 5 years ago and would like to apply for an A Learner Permit. Would I have to go back and do the theory test again? Or would I be able to just apply for an A permit since I already had an A1?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

i think ya mite have to apply again as it is a different catagory even tho its still a bike license,i could be wrong too ,, but of the last few years this country goverment and previous gov is doing its best to screw a few bob out of every one im finding and im sick of it if i can rant.like 85 euro to do a test and your paying for your own petrol and rules of the road book or cd on top of that 85 euro and if ya pass 1st time if your lucky and ya have another 25 to pay including pictures for ya pinky full license,it all adds up ,

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Hey lads,

Quick question, I had a provisional A1 license less than 5 years ago and would like to apply for an A Learner Permit. Would I have to go back and do the theory test again? Or would I be able to just apply for an A permit since I already had an A1?

Cheers!

If it's less than 5 years out of date and you already did the theory test then you can apply for the A permit. The only problem is you are also going to have to do the IBT as it's a new category. Because you have not done IBT before you will have to do the whole course. Once you have that done you can ride the larger bikes unaccompanied. If you get your A1 back you won't need to do IBT until you move up to the A.
    Good Luck
    Roadskill

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Roadskill wrote: »
    If it's less than 5 years out of date and you already did the theory test then you can apply for the A permit. The only problem is you are also going to have to do the IBT as it's a new category. Because you have not done IBT before you will have to do the whole course. Once you have that done you can ride the larger bikes unaccompanied. If you get your A1 back you won't need to do IBT until you move up to the A.
    Good Luck
    Roadskill

Its less than 5 years out of date alright. I've no problem doing IBT, will apply again, not too sure if I'll go down the bike route just yet, but I may as well get a permit if I can!

Cheers fellas!

Advertisement