Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March 17th

Options
  • 06-03-2012 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Also known as Paddy's Day! I was wondering if any who's been over here a while (only a blow-in myself...) knows of any good spots for Paddy's Day? Have a few (Irish) mates coming over, plus since it's the day after term ends should have some (non-Irish) classmates up for some craic too. I was planning on watching the match at the London Irish Centre in Camden as it seemed like the place to go for at least a bit on a day like that. My only London-based Irish friend said Clapham Common can be good fun for Paddy's too. Anyone have any favourite places for the day/know of a good old shindig going on?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Not sure what I'm doing yet. Want to go see the match somewhere fun on Patrick's Day, and then on the Sunday I'm going to Trafalgar Square for the parade and festival. It was a blast last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Myself and a few of my irish colleagues and their other halves are gonna head to Richmond to watch the match. I dunno whats gonna happen after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

I'll be around somewhere, watching the game in an Irish bar. Any recommendations for the latter while we're at it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Aoifebm

Ya somebody told me that Trafalgar Square is great craic on Paddys Day. They have some good irish bands on

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Reekwind wrote: »
    I'll be around somewhere, watching the game in an Irish bar. Any recommendations for the latter while we're at it?

Sheephaven Bay in Mornington Crescent is good for Rugby and Irish sports watching. Also a bar in St Paul's called Yager should be good as I know they've a party on, it's the home of the London Branch of the Munster Rugby Supporters Club.

Other than that, Waxys and O'neills

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

http://irishpost.co.uk/index.php/component/content/article/55-london/225-london-goes-green-with-st-patricks-festival-and-parade

Irish Post piece about the celebrations in Trafalgar Square on Sunday.

Headliners are The High Kings. Crystal Swing will also be there though :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Some_randomer

Anyone have any favourite places for the day/know of a good old shindig going on?

Great question was just about to post the exact same thing so ditto for me :D I'm going to expand it slightly if you don't mind.
    My problem is that I don't know London very well and it's a few years since I've been there, back when they shut the bars at 11 and kicked everyone out at ten past. I'll be trying to get a couple of disparate groups to meet at the same place, which is undecided as of yet so

- how hard will it be on Paddy's day to get around London...is it the same as Dublin with roads closed or will tubes and buses all be running as normal?
    - do pubs still close at 11 or is it possible to get late bars now; if so are late bars just in the city centre or do ones further out open late at weekends also?
    - does the tube stop at midnight; if so how difficult is it to get around after midnight or whenever the tube stops?
    - can anyone recommend a reasonably priced hotel / hostel that's close to a good social area?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Great question was just about to post the exact same thing so ditto for me :D I'm going to expand it slightly if you don't mind.
    My problem is that I don't know London very well and it's a few years since I've been there, back when they shut the bars at 11 and kicked everyone out at ten past. I'll be trying to get a couple of disparate groups to meet at the same place, which is undecided as of yet so

- how hard will it be on Paddy's day to get around London...is it the same as Dublin with roads closed or will tubes and buses all be running as normal?
    - do pubs still close at 11 or is it possible to get late bars now; if so are late bars just in the city centre or do ones further out open late at weekends also?
    - does the tube stop at midnight; if so how difficult is it to get around after midnight or whenever the tube stops?
    - can anyone recommend a reasonably priced hotel / hostel that's close to a good social area?

TIA

Normal working day.

Late bars be around and we have night buses

Give us a budget for reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Some_randomer

Normal working day.

Late bars be around and we have night buses

Give us a budget for reasonable

Ok reasonable being £70 to £100 mark

Advertisement