Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cup & Saucer

Options
  • 06-03-2012 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

I just noticed today that there is a huge cup and saucer statue thing on the road outside Ramelton. I always knew that people referred to that turn off as the 'cup and saucer' but never knew why. Has this always been there and just obscured by trees (I'm sure that I would have noticed it over the last twenty odd years) or is it a new thing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

It is relatively new, it went up in the last couple of years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2r76XK6dT0Q

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Excellent. Thank you for this. Can't understand why I haven't noticed it before now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Reading through the local press there seems to be a great community spirit in Ramelton through numerous community and voluntary projects.
    Ramelton Tidy Towns, CE Schemes etc are all involved in planting trees, improving the approach roads, combatting litter and of course the development of The Cup 'N' Saucer Park. Great to see this sort of initiative.

Apparently there is a time capsule buried underneath the cup and saucer.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

yourpics wrote: »
    Reading through the local press there seems to be a great community spirit in Ramelton through numerous community and voluntary projects.
    Ramelton Tidy Towns, CE Schemes etc are all involved in planting trees, improving the approach roads, combatting litter and of course the development of The Cup 'N' Saucer Park. Great to see this sort of initiative.

Apparently there is a time capsule buried underneath the cup and saucer.

I do like what they are doing there and approve to this sort of development but I think the money could be spent on improving the Milford road into the town which is in a terrible state.

Just might be a case of too many groups and schemes that could comibine rather than competiting against each other. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marknine

I havnt lived in Ramelton since I was in my teens in the mid 1980s. I still call it home and go there three or four times a year to stay with family. The cup N saucer park is a brilliant idea and really takes its name to a different level. It wasnt that long ago when this was a accident blackspot before they changed the road layout, which took a few years to complete. I once asked my grandfather (when I was 14 or 15) why it was called the cup n saucer and he said it was always called that, even back in the 1920s. My grandfather said he was nearly killed there in a car accident in thw 1920s and it was a blackspot before that. It is a good way to celebrate the now safer road layout. I know this is nothing to do with the park, but I just thought it would be of intertest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sammie42

I live in Ramelton and I have to say its the biggest waste of money ever, I could think of a lot more that could have been done with that money then to build a big cup and saucer, I mean come on! Its not even in a great place, who's gonna stop there?

sammie42 wrote: »
    I live in Ramelton and I have to say its the biggest waste of money ever, I could think of a lot more that could have been done with that money then to build a big cup and saucer, I mean come on! Its not even in a great place, who's gonna stop there?

I totally understand where you are coming from, HOWEVER something like that will pay dividends in the long run as it makes the place interesting. Most public art adds to a place in ways that only time can measure. I think it’s a fantastic plus to Ramelton that will pay off in the long run. I know that the money could have been spent on different things but all county councils have a budget for public art and it has been found that this adds so much to a place and the pride of it people, that it makes it worth every penny.

I would really like to know why its called the Cup and Saucer as it has been named that for (as far as i know) a hundred years or so or at least since the 1920's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sammie42

sorry but i totally disagree with you, the worst part is its on the main road, theres no where really to stop and see it! better things could have spent on but that pile of crap

sorry but i totally disagree with you, the worst part is its on the main road, theres no where really to stop and see it! better things could have spent on but that pile of crap

I understand your point However I still think it is a pluss to Ramelton. Mind you, I dont know how much it cost and I only see it a few times a year when I go up home.

• Advertisement
Advertisement