Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrible Irish Teacher!

Options
  • 06-03-2012 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

I have a terrible Irish teacher, since first year!
    She turns up 20 mins late and then just goes and photocopies something and just says '' here do that '' she never reads through it, collects it or corrects it or never has any tests!
    11 out of 16 people failed in the mocks. (BTW this is HL)

It's three months before my exam and I can't ;
    -write a story
    -write a letter
    -understand the listening comprehensions
    -or answer **** all of the reading comps.

I am trying to teach myself and learn off a story, any tips/suggestions?

NOTE:: dropping down is not an option, I really just want a C (55%)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Pick up Revise Wise for Irish, I found it useful for the story and letter. However, if you're writing your own story you might not really have any need for it. Regarding your own story, make sure it's written perfectly, make sure it can actually be relevant and twisted to most situations (blah blah this really shouldn't be happening but it's late in the year) and then, well, learn it off. Simple as. Learning holiday phrases e.g. the weather, the place you're staying can usually be used for at least one of the letter options.

However, I'd be concerned if you can't do the listening and reading. Have you listened to last year's listening comprehension? Perhaps it was because of actually being in an exam mindset during it, but I found it to be very fair. To improve, try listening to past years (the same kind of things tend to come up) and if you have the time, watching a bit of TG4 during your spare time wouldn't go astray. For reading, I dunno...becoming good at them is pretty much your whole journey through Irish in the last few years, you should know a lot of the vocab from them already and it's a real shame if you don't. I can only really advise you to learn vocab - a very boring but helpful way is to go through past papers and write out every word you don't know and learn its meaning. Sounds quite tedious, but it gets the job done.

Make sure never to leave a blank in the actual exam, even if you have to resort to transcribing directly.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

Always do the "Eachtra a tharla" option for the story; see past papers, comes up as second option. And no matter what you're doing or where you are, have an accident and end up in hospital. That way you can have the last two paragraphs completely learnt off. Your opening paragraph can be about getting ready that morning, breakfast, leaving, getting the bus etc.

Mind you, you ought to complain if you've a terrible teacher!
    Plenty of people like me would be happy to take her job!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Agreed with the above poster. I got a C in mine and learning the Eachtra Tharla really helped.

Even if it was me playing basketball in my garden and then instantly being knocked down by a car. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Make a formal complaint about your teacher, try get a few of you to do it. Children shouldn't suffer because of incompetence and laziness.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭0000879k

dlofnep wrote: »
    Make a formal complaint about your teacher, try get a few of you to do it. Children shouldn't suffer because of incompetence and laziness.

I really don't want to do that.. but i'm sure many poeple in my class would however. Even If I were to do this the process would take a while and then there's hardly any time left.

Trust me if I have her for LC .. I will !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Junokevv

Hi :) I'll try and give you some advice.

Even though I wouldn't usually recommend it, maybe you should try learn off a few stories.. It won't help you in the long run but for JC considering it's 50 Marks and theres so little time left it should bump up your grade.

I'd say have 4 essays known on the day if your going to learn them off by heart.You'd probably be safe with a Party, Road Accident, Bank Robbert and then some kind of random one like a holiday.

The letter is really quite easy. Firstly make sure that you mention all points whether or not you can do so with good Irish.Learn your tenses and a few Nathanna Cainte.By doing that and using simple but correct Irish you should get 25+ out of 30.

Learn off answers in your book for studied prós and filíocht.

Listening comprehensions are easy for the most part and anyway a teacher can't really 'teach' you them. Do the ones in the exam papers and your book for practice.I'd give the same advice for the reading comprehensions.

Finally for the Unstudied prós and filíocht. They can be very hard even for the top students so marks are awarded quite easily (my teacher says), so just do your best at trying to make some understanding of them always give some relevant answer in correct Irish. Also use ''I mo thuairim'' (it means in ''In my opinion'' if you didn't know) before your answers because, like in English your opinion can't be marked wrong. (unless it's really irrelevant)

Hope this helped. :)

Advertisement