Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnancy Pillows?

Options
  • 06-03-2012 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Here's the deal:

I'm 24 weeks pregnant. I've spent my whole life sleeping on my belly but now afraid of squashing baby. Also not lying on back cause don't want to cut off blood supply. So, that leaves lying on my right or left. But then I wake up in the middle of the night with hips pains - similar to when you go camping and get hip pains from sleeping on the ground, know what I mean? I'm assuming this is nothing to do with SDP, which I don't have.
    Does this sound like a problem a pregnancy pillow can help & where could I get a good cheap on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

Here's the deal:

I'm 24 weeks pregnant. I've spent my whole life sleeping on my belly but now afraid of squashing baby. Also not lying on back cause don't want to cut off blood supply. So, that leaves lying on my right or left. But then I wake up in the middle of the night with hips pains - similar to when you go camping and get hip pains from sleeping on the ground, know what I mean? I'm assuming this is nothing to do with SDP, which I don't have.
    Does this sound like a problem a pregnancy pillow can help & where could I get a good cheap on?

Hi HappyPregnantlady,
    A pregnancy pillow would help you stay sleeping on your side if your preference is to sleep on your back but you might find buying a good (thick) memory foam mattress topper would be better for your hip pains. I have one & find it really helps especially if you have a hard mattress!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

I wouldn't waste your money on a pregnancy pillow such as the dream geni - its about 50 Euros, Argos do a much cheaper version.

Whilst I was pregnant last year, I suffered badly towards the end with SPD -to the extent i ended up with sticks. But I found 2 ordinary bed pillows helped with sleeping on my side. One propped under my bump, and the other between my legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks ladies! I'm thinking the memory foam topper might be answer - and those preg pillows look a bit overwhelming?! So funny all these pregnancy side effects!

Best of luck to you both!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I don't have experience yet as I'm still using regular pillow between the knees. I saw one in Mothercare for €50/60. I think it was a Dream Genie. It was a full length body pillow and it basically goes between your knees, supports your bump and then slips under your side and there is another cushion built into it to support your back to stop you rolling.

So it's all in one so you don't have to have 3 pillows that you have to rearrange every time you move.

I'm probably going to get it. I'm a real princess about my sleep and I'm already starting to get very uncomfortable at night. I roll onto my back and I don't like to as after a few minutes I can feel my pulse shaking my whole belly and I don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

Girls check out tk max , i got one of the full length pillows and a spare cover reduced to 12 euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭sassa

chirogirl wrote: »
    I wouldn't waste your money on a pregnancy pillow such as the dream geni - its about 50 Euros, Argos do a much cheaper version.

Whilst I was pregnant last year, I suffered badly towards the end with SPD -to the extent i ended up with sticks. But I found 2 ordinary bed pillows helped with sleeping on my side. One propped under my bump, and the other between my legs.

I too suffered with spd and found a good hard pillow under my bump and one between my legs would ease some of the pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

Its a long time since I had my babies but I did suffer like you too. I found using a spare single quilt folded in half lengthways brilliant, it supported my bump and sometimes I put the bottom of it between my knees. Hope you get some sleep soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Mink wrote: »
    I don't have experience yet as I'm still using regular pillow between the knees. I saw one in Mothercare for €50/60. I think it was a Dream Genie. It was a full length body pillow and it basically goes between your knees, supports your bump and then slips under your side and there is another cushion built into it to support your back to stop you rolling.

So it's all in one so you don't have to have 3 pillows that you have to rearrange every time you move.

I'm probably going to get it. I'm a real princess about my sleep and I'm already starting to get very uncomfortable at night. I roll onto my back and I don't like to as after a few minutes I can feel my pulse shaking my whole belly and I don't like it.

I had it mink - its v. Good! I used it every night and use it now as a pillow for the baby while breast feeding - its curved do is very useful for this! So I'll have used it for a yr... 48 euro well spent in my book! And I'll have it for again..... If I'm ever brave enough to go again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭kaalgat

I have tried a lot of pillows, normal pillows, long worm-shaped pillows, the lot. The only one that I have found really works for me at the moment is a wedge pillow. It is small, about 30 cm long and 30 cm, and is shaped like a wedge of cheese. The thin end slips under the belly and the fat end sticks out. It is great support for back and hips when the bump gets too big!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 KarKar10

Hi, Im nearly 32 weeks pregnant & swear by my dream genie pillow. I was a belly sleeper so started to sleep on my side from about 16 weeks which took weeks to get used to. The dream genie stop you from rolling over onto your back aswel as suppoting bump & stops your hip from over flexing. The only negative is that I find i do be so warm because of the pillow & so does my other half, its like a extra duvet between the 2 of us in the bed but Id rather be warm then have sore hips :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tishandy

Anyone have any tips on stopping lying on your back or right side in your sleep? I have one of these pillows but find my left hip and leg gets v sore. should I be putting the pillow under my hip ( i just put it a little under my bump and between my knees). I keep waking up in every position other than the left side .

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭SSFG

I got a wedge pillow in Mothercare at the weekend, it was €13. I also have a V pillow, so I use the two together. The V pillow along the edge and top of the bed, so I lie on my left side with the wedge pillow under my bump. If I wake up and want to turn onto my right side, I just turn over and use the wedge pillow at my back and the side of the V pillow under the bump.
    So far so good!

Advertisement