Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

press ups morn n night 1set 2 failure 2 weeks?

Options
  • 06-03-2012 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Well my buddy and I decided we'd do a set of press ups every morning and again every night for two weeks. He promises me bigger triceps by end of it! Well it's more a little challenge to motivate us.
    The sets are to failure, we can take few seconds between reps at the end, as the goal is to really go all out kill muscles. But you have to stay on hands and feet, can't drop to knees or anything.
    On days we do our usual gym sessions we only do in night time. It's not really about the number more about to failure. But my numbers are for yesterday 40 in morning and 55 in late evening after my legs day workout in gym. I'd taken some jack3d so this why it went better.
    Any thoughts?
    Would be fun to do for say sit ups for 2 weeks, maybe chins ups then.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 enjoyment

This is the question I guess.
    Ya it is good to exercise, why not try tricep or swallow ones also.
    Set up a circuit,50 pushups 50 situps, 50 squat thrus Ect.
    Four sets.

Your goal should not be the size of any muscle but a low fat index and a feeling of self confidence!.

m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

But if we did a 50 50 and 50 if missing the point, we going to failure every set, I'll already to bench press, stomach stuff etc in the gym, this is just some fun at home 4 two weeks,

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Jack3d didn't increase your reps from 40 to 55

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

Bodyweight exercises are all about volume. Failure really won't help anything. If you can do 50 nice, controlled, pushups, I'd suggest start at around 30 pushups. Maybe 3 sets every day, with the weekends off.

That's 450 pushups in a week. It'll send your pushup numbers through the roof.
    The important thing is that you're doing lots of pushups.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Doctor_Socks

Why the large amount of volume with all of the pushups? Surely you'd benefit more by getting to a large enough number, ~20-25 since you want volume, and then add some weight or make it harder by elevating your legs? Would be more beneficial in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

abceire wrote: »
    He promises me bigger triceps by end of it! .
    If hypertrophy is your goal you might want to lower your reps to the usual ranges people use for hypertrophy. You can add weight to a backpack for pushups or do elevated ones or other variations, maybe work towards handstand ones. In this case you would not want to be working out every day, if you did chins to failure twice a day you have no time to recover.

It's just for a bit of crack really. Interesting little side come.
    Well interesting for me and buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

get a job at Abercrombie and Fitch. Apparently they punish staff by giving them pressups when they make mistakes........

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/independent-woman/fashion/abercrombie-and-fitch-under-fire-for-telling-staff-to-do-pressups-when-they-make-mistakes-3043464.html

sounds good though. i have tried similar before but the novelty wore off quickly. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

rubadub wrote: »
    If hypertrophy is your goal you might want to lower your reps to the usual ranges people use for hypertrophy. You can add weight to a backpack for pushups or do elevated ones or other variations, maybe work towards handstand ones. In this case you would not want to be working out every day, if you did chins to failure twice a day you have no time to recover.

I understand this, but if someone (in decentish shape) does high volume pressups , say 3 sets of 50 every night, will this make any physical difference to the chest area? i.e if a physical change (more athletic looking chest area) is what you are after, are high volume sets of press ups a waste of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

cojomo2 wrote: »
    rubadub wrote: »

I understand this, but if someone (in decentish shape) does high volume pressups , say 3 sets of 50 every night, will this make any physical difference to the chest area? i.e if a physical change (more athletic looking chest area) is what you are after, are high volume sets of press ups a waste of time?

It'll make you better conditioned at pressups & carryover to other pushing exercises in a similar domain.

It will also help in causing an imbalance with the antagonist muscles if you're not training them as much & over training in the working muscles. So for physical difference you might get internally rotated shoulders! You can gave fantastic man cleavage ifyou over develop it enough!! :(

Train & eat sensibly you should get the results you want. A load of pushups ontop of your regular training everynight doesn't fall under the heading sensible!!

• Advertisement

I like this push ups as punishment, I play squash and have met and played with a few people switching from tennis to squash, so I do want them to do push ups maybe 5 even every time I them use two hands on the racket.

Advertisement