Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TrueCrypt - USB Launcher? (OS Agnostic)

Options
  • 06-03-2012 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭

I've used TrueCrypt in the past, mostly on, 'inside the PC' hard drives, back when I was in rented accommodation.

I'm carrying data with me now, data that would cause me great problems if lost. A slimline USB stick inside my wallet.. not ideal.

Is it possible to use a TrueCrypt USB launcher that doesn't need any particular OS, basically, that mounting etc, would take place through a web browser interface or similar.

I would be in contact with Linux and Windows (XP/W7) machines. Machines where, quite possibly, Admin rights would not be available to me.

Any input welcome. Ideas about USB launchers and different apps using TryeCrypt, with maybe a custom skin\launcher.

As long as the security aspect is available, not bothered what I end up using.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 jor199

It is possible to use Truecrypt like you want go to truecrypt website
    http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/

It will give you instructions on how to use it. I've copied some of it below hope this helps

There are two ways to run TrueCrypt in portable mode:

After you extract files from the TrueCrypt self-extracting package, you can directly run TrueCrypt.exe.

Note: To extract files from the TrueCrypt self-extracting package, run it, and then select Extract (instead of Install) on the second page of the TrueCrypt Setup wizard.

You can use the Traveler Disk Setup facility to prepare a special traveler disk and launch TrueCrypt from there.

The second option has several advantages, which are described in the following sections in this chapter.

Note: When running in portable mode, the TrueCrypt driver is unloaded when it is no longer needed (e.g., when all instances of the main application and/or of the Volume Creation Wizard are closed and no TrueCrypt volumes are mounted). However, if you force dismount on a TrueCrypt volume when TrueCrypt runs in portable mode, or mount a writable NTFS-formatted volume on Windows Vista or later, the TrueCrypt driver may not be unloaded when you exit TrueCrypt (it will be unloaded only when you shut down or restart the system). This prevents various problems caused by a bug in Windows (for instance, it would be impossible to start TrueCrypt again as long as there are applications using the dismounted volume).

Tools -> Traveler Disk Setup
    You can use this facility to prepare a special traveler disk and launch TrueCrypt from there. Note that TrueCrypt 'traveler disk' is not a TrueCrypt volume but an unencrypted volume. A 'traveler disk' contains TrueCrypt executable files and optionally the 'autorun.inf' script (see the section AutoRun Configuration below). After you select Tools -> Traveler Disk Setup, the Traveler Disk Setup dialog box should appear. Some of the parameters that can be set within the dialog deserve further explanation:

Include TrueCrypt Volume Creation Wizard

Check this option, if you need to create new TrueCrypt volumes using TrueCrypt run from the traveler disk you will create. Unchecking this option saves space on the traveler disk.

AutoRun Configuration (autorun.inf)

In this section, you can configure the 'traveler disk' to automatically start TrueCrypt or mount a specified TrueCrypt volume when the 'traveler disk' is inserted. This is accomplished by creating a special script file called 'autorun.inf' on the traveler disk. This file is automatically executed by the operating system each time the 'traveler disk' is inserted.

Note, however, that this feature only works for removable storage devices such as CD/DVD (Windows XP SP2, Windows Vista, or a later version of Windows is required for this feature to work on USB memory sticks) and only when it is enabled in the operating system. Depending on the operating system configuration, these auto-run and auto-mount features may work only when the traveler disk files are created on a non-writable CD/DVD-like medium (which is not a bug in TrueCrypt but a limitation of Windows).

Also note that the 'autorun.inf' file must be in the root directory (i.e., for example G:\, X:\, or Y:\ etc.) of an unencrypted disk in order for this feature to work.

http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Cheers jor199. There are still limitations I see, not because of TrueCrypt mind you.. oh well.

Been years since I used it, I thought things would have moved along a bit.

Advertisement