Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change front door handle?

Options
  • 06-03-2012 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys

Replaced all windows and doors about 2 years ago and put in all munster joinery windows and doors. Anyway the front door came with standard handle which if you don't lock it you can walk up from outside and just walk straight in

I was looking to change this so if you don't have a key you can't get access to house from outside.

Do you know if this is easy? Do I just need to buy a new door handle? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

I think what you currently have is a lever-lever handle. You want a lever-pad handle. The outside one will then only disengage locks, not the catch. You then need a key from outside to release the catch.

I don't know if they're interchangeable. But if you are doing it consider a thumb-turn on inside as key lock on inside can be left in by accident and you end up locked out. Sounds silly but it can happen when various people have keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

hi. your locking mechanism must allow for lever/pad type action. it must be either split spindle or have two spindle slots. you can't tell unless you remove it from door.
    if its a a timber door, you should fit a decent night latch lock, which will sort this problem out and increase security.

Advertisement