Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Log cabin attic insulation

Options
  • 05-03-2012 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm 18 and living at home, out back in a log cabin. It has only aeroboard under the floor for insulation. As you'd imagine it gets quite cold out there. Now I'm fine as I have a heater on all the time during the winter. However I plan on moving my reptiles from the house out into the attic. I'm going to need to insulate the attic first. Getting it done professionally is not really an option as funds are low.

I have barely ever put a nail into a wall before, quite literally. So please bare with me.

So first of I have decided on using 2 x 1 batten, with 25mm kingspan covered with chipboard.

Could I use plasterboard instead of chipboard ? Will 25mm kingspan be enough.

Thirdly and most importantly. I have no idea how to ventilate. I've read up about soffit vents etc. Still cant get my head around it.

My attic is similar to this, though smaller and no furniture

SouthLakeTahoe2BedroomsSleeps6_11636101872501.jpg

Any kind of help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

oorrccaa wrote: »
    So first of I have decided on using 2 x 1 batten, with 25mm kingspan covered with chipboard.
    Could I use plasterboard instead of chipboard ? Will 25mm kingspan be enough.
    Thirdly and most importantly. I have no idea how to ventilate. I've read up about soffit vents etc. Still cant get my head around it.
    before we discuss the need for roof ventilation, what is the external finish and existing build-up, does the roof have log rafters like this image? if so
    I would recommend natural insulation or at least mineral wool placed between the rafters, then use OSB on the inside, and probably silicone the joints.
    before we discuss internal ventilation, will this space have a heat source?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭oorrccaa

BryanF wrote: »
    before we discuss the need for roof ventilation, what is the external finish and existing build-up, does the roof have log rafters like this image? if so
    I would recommend natural insulation or at least mineral wool placed between the rafters, then use OSB on the inside, and probably silicone the joints.
    before we discuss internal ventilation, will this space have a heat source?

i will take a picture for you, to show u, external finish is metal. it has not got log rafters

Advertisement