Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blogspot -help with very basic HTML browser problem

Options
  • 05-03-2012 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi there,

I just started looking at HTML a couple of days ago and its still Greek to me unfortunately:o

I set up my first website for a school project
    http://thegeographyofthegreatermiddleeast.blogspot.com/
    its under construction, so to say:pac:

Basically my problem lies in the background. Try viewing the site with IE and then with google chrome.
    The way it does with Chrome is the way I wanted it to work.
    I use chrome at home but the computers in school all have IE (some old version, not even sure which one). As you can see, it doesn't render properly when you view it with IE leading to some very strange tiling/repeating/cropping - it looks very bad to have to ask visitors to manually change the zoom percentage whenever they arrive at my blog in:rolleyes:

The bits I've unsuccesfully been messing with are

body {
    font: $(body.font);
    color: $(body.text.color);
    background:url(http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/8929/final12y.jpg);
    background-size: 100% 100%;
    }

and something about CSS:confused:

I think there are differences between them but I'm really clueless as to which one I should be using?

The problem for me lies more in the principle of not being able to re-size a background rather than visitors using the most popular browser not being able to see the whole thing - especially since its taken me hours so far of failure I'd like to actually see how its meant to be done by the pros.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

background-size isn't support by all browsers.

To pull this off, you would need either a div dedicated to the purpose using proprietary filters, or an image which sat behind all the content, which is tricky to pull of, and I wouldn't recommend it.

http://css-tricks.com/perfect-full-page-background-image/

• Registered Users Posts: 27 apocalypseDG

Thank you Giblet for your reply!

I still have no idea what the "div" is, or a proprietary filter. The link you provided has lots of code I'm sure you meant me to enter somewhere, but where exactly?:P

Also, you said you wouldn't recommend it, did you mean the link?

What would you do if you were me?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Learn some html, some tasks can't be performed effectively without at least some knowledge.
    If I were you though, I would abandon a background-image of that sort, very busy looking and can't read your content too well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Giblet wrote: »
    If I were you though, I would abandon a background-image of that sort, very busy looking and can't read your content too well.

... A generous way of saying the text is illegible.

Advertisement