Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well Water Pressure/ Pressure Vessel

Options
  • 05-03-2012 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭

I think the pressure vessel is on the way out. The water pressure has been gradually dropping over a while (months), but has been liveable but now it's really at the limit of acceptable. Actual pressure in the pressure vessel is fine, so I guessing it's the diaphram? But I am open to suggestions if it might be something else, especially if it's a DIY fix? If it is the pressure vessel, what type of money am I looking at supply and fitted?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I think the pressure vessel is on the way out. The water pressure has been gradually dropping over a while (months), but has been liveable but now it's really at the limit of acceptable. Actual pressure in the pressure vessel is fine, so I guessing it's the diaphram? But I am open to suggestions if it might be something else, especially if it's a DIY fix? If it is the pressure vessel, what type of money am I looking at supply and fitted?
    Thanks

If you pump is at the top of the well, your problem is likely to be the foot valve. They rust and do not close properly after a few years. Not expensive to replace - just awkward - all the hoses have to be pulled up from the well.

If you have a submersible pump i.e the pump is at the bottom of the well, this does not apply - no foot valve.

Pressure vessels will last until they leak - if they are leaking, you can see the resultant rusty streak.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Thanks. It's a submersible pump. I don't think there's a leak in the vessel, but it had been suggested that it was most likely the diaphram within the pressure vessel that was failing. Is that likely, or what's the other possibilities?

I'd assumed the pump itself would just go, rather than gradually fail, but I grew up a city boy so still only learning this stuff (and up to now it's been fairly trouble free).

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭wyndhurst

Is there a nipple/valve on the pressure vessel that allows you to connect a pump (car tyre foot pump) and re-prime the diaphram?
    It could be as simple as that....

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭wyndhurst

wyndhurst wrote: »
    Is there a nipple/valve on the pressure vessel that allows you to connect a pump (car tyre foot pump) and re-prime the diaphram?
    It could be as simple as that....

http://inspectapedia.com/water/Water_Tank_Bladder_Adjust.htm
    Along the lines of this....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Yeah, I tried that previously, despite the guage showing around where expected. It actually made things worse pressure wise.

I think I might have to bite the bullet and call in the pro's. Any ideas on ball park figures, if it was the pressure vessel or the pump? Tried google, and couldn't really get figures. Just trying to get a handle on the worst case scenario, so it's not a nasty surprise. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

If the diaphragm in the pressure vessel failed the only effect would be that the pump would keep switching on and off. It wouldn't effect the water flow. Also, the fact that the vessel shows the correct pressure is not the same thing as water flow. I suggest that you test the vessel pressure when you have a tap open, as I would guess that the pressure would then drop right back. That means that the pump can deliver pressure but not flow, and that suggests that it is either blocked with sludge or it's worn badly. The fact that the flow has been dropping for some time does tend to confirm that.

If you do the test I suggested above, and if the pressure then drops, you need to lift the pump. If you are lucky it might just need cleaning. In the worst case it might be a repair or replace job.

Advertisement