Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help diagnose a Ps3 bluray drive?

Options
  • 05-03-2012 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,513 ✭✭✭✭

Folks,
    looking for some help from some of the experienced heads on here please.
    I have a ps3 on cfw with a dead bluray initially the drive started to sound like it was chewing discs then died.
    Now I'm trying to determine is it the drive itself that's dead or the logic board?
    The system will launch homebrew but only to a blackscreen but will launch psn titles ok.
    Its a KEM410 drive on a bc system and Id like to get it going again asap.
    So any advice on troubleshooting will be appreciated ;)

p.s if its a dead logic board any advice on remarrying a new drive would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

need more info on the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 16,513 ✭✭✭✭banie01

need more info on the problem

Only thing I can think to add is that the drive will accept/eject discs but won't spin up or give any indication of reading disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

I'd be nearly be willing to put money on it being a dead laser.

Just replace the laser and you should be good to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Reinstall the CFW [assuming its a standard cfw]. The installation will fail if its a logic board problem, as they also gets flashed on firmware installation.

If the cfw installs ok, you'll know its likely a laser fault

• Registered Users Posts: 16,513 ✭✭✭✭banie01

EnterNow wrote: »
    Reinstall the CFW [assuming its a standard cfw]. The installation will fail if its a logic board problem, as they also gets flashed on firmware installation.

If the cfw installs ok, you'll know its likely a laser fault

In that case its almost definitely the laser! Thank you!
    As I initially thought it could have been a firmware prob as I'd not used Rogero on any of my other machines and I've flashed to 2 different CFW's already.
    I have even got myself a donor drive sorted and all now :)
    Here's to being back in San Andreas by this evening!
    Thanks for the help guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 paanhaddy

hi, i have problem with my bluray drive, dont know whether its logic board or bd drive fault and the bluray constantly light up even without a disc. i try swapping the bluray drive but it still dont suck the disk, so, i assume its logic board fault, but as enternow said, if it logic board fault, the cfw installation will fail, but i managed to install from 3.15ofw to 3.55cfw coz i'm thinking to remarry logic board.

so do u guys have any idea what might the problem is?

Advertisement