Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[FPL] - Boards money league 2012/2013

• 05-03-2012 2:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭

Ok guys i'm just doing this to gauge interest. I know it's ages away

This is what i propose:

€30 entry fee

Prizes as follows:

monthly winner = €100 (10 months in total)

overall winner = 50% of remaining prize fund
    overall 2nd = 25%
    overall 3rd = 15%
    overall 4th = 10%

Entry payment would be made by paypal, likewise prizes would be paid out through paypal

All i want for now is to gauge interest, so give a '+1' if you think you'd like to join. If there's enough interest then i'll go about setting up the league come August

Cheers

**edited** 14:10 (definitely better to do overall prizes as % - cheers Kev)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

manual_man wrote: »
    Ok guys i'm just doing this to gauge interest. I know it's ages away

This is what i propose:

€30 entry fee

100 participants

Prizes as follows:

€1000 - overall winner
    €500 - overall second
    €250 - overall third
    €150 - overall fourth
    €50 - Paddy Last (for a bit of a laugh)

Monthly prize of €100 (10 in total)

€50 would be reserved for the running of the league

Entry payment would be made by paypal, likewise prizes would be paid out through paypal

All i want for now is to gauge interest, so give a '+1' if you think you'd like to join. If there's enough interest then i'll go about setting up the league come August

Cheers

No paddy prize. Will make a joke of league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

FutureGuy wrote: »
    No paddy prize. Will make a joke of league.

100% agree, good idea but not feasible. If you want an extra €50 prize you could do it for the highest one week score of the year?

I'm obviously interested, being the cash league king :)

€30 each sounds reasonable, although €50 being held aside for running the league is a bit much. Whoever takes on the (unenviable) task should just get free entry. Obviously they would need to be a pretty trustworthy member of the board, and tbh I could count on one hand the people that I would trust with a four figure sum over the course of a year!

I run a few cash leagues at the moment and as I know the owner of boards I think it would make me somewhat trustworthy! I also have the added bonus of having numerous poker accounts, which would make transferring cash quite easy. That being said, I'm not sure if I could be bothered with the hassle, even if free entry was on offer!

Figuring out someway to escrow the funds would work best...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Paddy last prize is retarded. Anyone not in with a chance on the last gameweek can just make 100's if prizes.

Also lol at 50 euro held back for running of the league. What costs are involved? Zero. Paypal charge a % but this should come from the entry fee. Who is to get this 50 euro? You?

Also do the prizes as %'s of prizepool. Same as monthly prize. In the above proposal the monthly prize amount is too big a % of the total.

Id defo be in favour of a cash league tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

KevIRL wrote: »
    Paddy last prize is retarded. Anyone not in with a chance on the last gameweek can just make 100's if prizes.

Also lol at 50 euro held back for running of the league. What costs are involved? Zero. Paypal charge a % but this should come from the entry fee. Who is to get this 50 euro? You?

Also do the prizes as %'s of prizepool. Same as monthly prize. In the above proposal the monthly prize amount is too big a % of the total.

Id defo be in favour of a cash league tho

Ok ok relax guys the paddy prize idea is scrapped just an idea ffs lol...

As for the running costs, you'd be surprised how many people don't follow the paypal instructions and the admin ends up footing any lost %'s... I'm not for a second saying I (or anyone else) should get 50 quid for running the league - i'd gladly do it for free - the 50 quid is just to cover whoever's ass is running the thing - if unneeded then throw the 50 quid back in to the prize pool. No one's trying to rob anyone here

Prizes could be as a % like you said. Depends how many people you get to sign up. Leave the monthly prize at 100 quid, then divvy up the remaining prize fund between the top 4 finishers

50%
    25%
    15%
    10%

Come to think of it that would probly be better yeah

edited the OP to reflect this... % works better. and don't have to worry about running costs

No need to discuss it now lads, Im sure we'll have 30+ people interested come the start of next season, not really any need to guage interest yet.

• Advertisement

roryc wrote: »
    No need to discuss it now lads, Im sure we'll have 30+ people interested come the start of next season, not really any need to guage interest yet.

You're absolutely right. Just gettin the feelers out early so people can't complain they went on their summer holidays and didn't know about it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9 beslowboy

I'd definitely be interested. Most of my mates have started to lose interest in FPL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I'd take part and know a few people on Boards who would too. Money always makes the game more interesting.

There's 2 mods, Mr Moon and Ade de Loco I think, so one of them should hold the cash IMO. If they're willing to that is.

Lemlin wrote: »
    I'd take part and know a few people on Boards who would too. Money always makes the game more interesting.

There's 2 mods, Mr Moon and Ade de Loco I think, so one of them should hold the cash IMO. If they're willing to that is.

Yeah. I think it'd be good craic. 30 euro over the course of a season isn't too much. And to give people an idea the current Boards money league has 75 players, so hopefully with the new forum we'll at least match that number, making for a fairly tasty prize fund...

I'm happy for anyone to do it, it's most important that whoever does it, people are happy with that choice

Yeah. I think it'd be good craic. 30 euro over the course of a season isn't too much. And to give people an idea the current Boards money league has 75 players, so hopefully with the new forum we'll at least match that number, making for a fairly tasty prize fund...

I'm happy for anyone to do it, it's most important that whoever does it, people are happy with that choice

Nothing against you but I'd be wary of having someone unknown holding on to a few k. I include myself here... Finding a way to escrow would encourage more people to take part. I think there was some problems in the current boards league with monthly winners being paid late etc.

€30 should be fine, most people should be able to afford this. Could run another league for €100 for any serious players.

• Advertisement

roryc wrote: »

Nothing against you but I'd be wary of having someone unknown holding on to a few k. I include myself here... Finding a way to escrow would encourage more people to take part. I think there was some problems in the current boards league with monthly winners being paid late etc.

€30 should be fine, most people should be able to afford this. Could run another league for €100 for any serious players.

Yeah. Maybe El Loco Ade would be interested in doing it??? As a Boardsie for a long time??? Anyway I'm sure we'll figure something out. One thing I will say though is it has to made absolutely clear that no late entries to the league will be accepted, otherwise we'd just have members accusing other members of joining only after they had a good 1st gameweek... Can't have that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

would def be interested

I've found playing for cash is the only thing that holds my interest in this game for an entire season

Yeah. Maybe El Loco Ade would be interested in doing it??? As a Boardsie for a long time??? Anyway I'm sure we'll figure something out. One thing I will say though is it has to made absolutely clear that no late entries to the league will be accepted, otherwise we'd just have members accusing other members of joining only after they had a good 1st gameweek... Can't have that

I'd agree. I've seen people attempt that before in money leagues. Even happened one I was in before where a lad was allowed to join after ten gameweeks and it was discovered it wasn't written into the rules that he couldn't. It was a work league and he was on sabbatical for three months so his excuse was that he had noted his intention to join, had gone for the three months and was now back.

Rules were changed and the league was locked. He was about 80 points ahead of anyone at the time but eventually he was caught in March/April. Wouldn't have been great if he'd won it.

The other thing is, if you're in, you're in. I helped run a league in work before and we had a few cheeky b@stards come back after the first weekend and say that the league wasn't for them and could they opt out :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭token56

Playing in it this year, albeit doing terribly but will play in it again next year if its set up.

Would reduce the prize for 4th place though, maybe make it 5% and add the extra 5% to the winner.

The one problem with a money league on here is that it would go against the basic principle of the forum - people on her giving advice and helping each other.

For example, there are people on here who it is fairly obvious haven't much of a clue about football but use the Board to get advice.

I doubt very many are going to give advice to these people if there's money involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

DazzlerIE wrote: »
    would def be interested

I've found playing for cash is the only thing that holds my interest in this game for an entire season
    G'way out of that!

Being within touching distance of a top 10 finish is surely keeping your interest piqued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

I will have some of this when it comes around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Defo interested too. Would have won the cash league last year had I entered, not so fantastic this year but would have high hopes for next year provided I give it the full attention it requires. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

S.M.B. wrote: »
    G'way out of that!

Being within touching distance of a top 10 finish is surely keeping your interest piqued.

Ha, sorry I meant to add in previous years!

Obv I'm very much interested this year

Advertisement