Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NZ bus travel?

Options
  • 05-03-2012 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

I'm leaving Auckland to travel to Nepal for a month. I want to get back at the start of May and get my arse down to the South Island for a good look round.

I've been in the North Island since October and I've travelled and worked but now I need to see the South Island properly in case I decide to leave NZ entirely. I looked into the Magic Bus when I first arrived but ruled in favour of my motorbike, which I've now sold.

I need transport in the South Island. I'm 30, travelling on my own, not the most experienced backpacker and I'm not the most charismatic character you could meet. I'm worried about being a billy-no-mates on a party bus full of 18 year olds. I'm also worried about it becoming so late in the season that it might not be the best timing.

In real terms, are the 'Magic Bus' type services an option? Is the national bus service a better option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

Heya!

I did the Magic Bus for 3 months in October 09 and i had an absolute ball!! It sounds like a cliche but it really does depend on the people you have on your bus.

Time wasnt an issue for me so if i found the crowd on the bus were annoying or whatever, then i just stayed an extra day and got an entirely new group of people.

If i were you i'd obviously stay away from Big Fat Vag*na Lina (Kiwi Exp :) ) and go with either Magic or Stray.

You could always bus it yourself too if it works out cheaper, i find you meet most people in hostels anyway.

Hope that helps you out, South Island is immense!!!!

Advertisement