Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Terain Tyres on a modified Camper??

Options
  • 05-03-2012 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Just some advice guys, I have just nearly finished converting a jumbo transit and need two new tyres for the rear. Due to the nature of what I will be using the van for I am thinking about placing all terrain tyres on the rear to improve grip in fields and on rough ground,
    Anyone any thoughts on whether this is a good idea or any other suggestions?? Yes it is a rear wheel drive also,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

The problem with putting at tyres on a camper or a van, is that it is very hard to get tyres with a suitable load and speed rating.
    from memory the only tyre that might work on a transit is the bfgoodridge atko and only 225 75 16 which has a 115 s rating.
    but as with any tyres you should consult a professional who is qualified to advise on the correct tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ste2006

Thanks for that,

Have been ringing around and can get a set of Mud / Snow tyres that are rated for the van so will probably go with those,

Thanks for the advise

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Re: Other Suggestions:

1. Get a winch for the front. They will get you out of situations that would leave all 4 wheels spinning if you had 4wd. Plus they look bad to the bone.

This will cost you less than 2 BFG mudders:

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/commercials/1790897

2. Try to keep a fair amount of weight over the rear axle.

Ye i have designed it to keep all the water, gas etc down over the back Axle to try to keep some weight on it,

I did think of the idea of a winch but not sure a Winch on a Jumbo Transit would be ideal or safe at all?? :rolleyes:

Anyone see any issues with leaving two good summer tyres on the front and some snow and mud tyres on the back (drive wheels)

Keep any opinions coming,

Regards,

one would be less grip on the front in mud and snow, resulting in reduced breaking and direction control

• Advertisement

I did think of that,

It seems Toyo do a snow and Mud tyre suitable, I think ill go with two for now and more when i get the money,

They are not cheap

ste2006 wrote: »
    I did think of that,

It seems Toyo do a snow and Mud tyre suitable, I think ill go with two for now and more when i get the money,

They are not cheap

are you refering to TOYO OPEN COUNTRY AT - 225/75 R16 LT 115Q TL ?
    depending on your transit load rating should be ok, but speed rating is probably too low

Well these are the ones i got,

http://www.toyo.co.uk/tire/pattern/h09

Seems more Snow than mud but im sure it will be good for Mud also and has the load rating i need

What ye think??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

I'd say they'll do you fine, don't now how well they'll wear as M+S tyres have a softer compound.

Just in case you do get stuck anytime, carry your own tow rope or strap and attach it yourself. I've seen a tractor practically tear the front off a transit with chains attached to the wrong place.

ste2006 wrote: »
    Well these are the ones i got,

http://www.toyo.co.uk/tire/pattern/h09

Seems more Snow than mud but im sure it will be good for Mud also and has the load rating i need

What ye think??

They look nice. winter tyres are the best option for winter conditions, and that type of pattern should be ok for general use.

just check load and speed rating, because on the listing in that link the tyre size to fit my transit has the correct load rating but speed rating is too low, but there are a lot of different transits around

• Advertisement
Advertisement