Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

defence forces 100 years

Options
  • 05-03-2012 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

I am just wondering has the defence forces/government planned anything next november to comenrate the founding of the defence forces 100 years ago?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Ok, have I missed something? Is this 2021?

I wouldn't count on it. The Irish Volunteers were not quite the Defence forces.

It's an arguable point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ruserious

xflyer wrote: »
    Ok, have I missed something? Is this 2021?

I wouldn't count on it. The Irish Volunteers were not quite the Defence forces.

It's an arguable point though.
    Defence Forces History

This section of the Website traces the history of the Defence Forces from its foundation in 1913 to the present day.

From the DF website.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Maoltuile

ruserious wrote: »
    Defence Forces History

This section of the Website traces the history of the Defence Forces from its foundation in 1913 to the present day.

From the DF website.

Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

HAHA recruitment maybe :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I think if done properly this could be a very good pr excercise for the df if done correctley shown the development of the df from 1916 , the war in 1919,congo and the present day. It mite bring a better view of the df other then what some members of the public see as them lads who protect cash vans

• Advertisement

I've seen a rumour on facebook DF page while back that there may be a medal issued to commemorate 100 years of the IV.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Uncle Fester

A new YouTube clip on the Defence Forces

http://youtu.be/Et6RQp8s-_E

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

A new YouTube clip on the Defence Forces

http://youtu.be/Et6RQp8s-_E

Great video there - thanks for posting! There are some excellent historical views of the older equipment, too, food and drink to a military modeller.

Accurate Armour make a beautiful 1/35th scale resin and etch model of General Michael Collins' Rolls-Royce armoured car, BTW.

When we lived in Cyprus in the early 1970's we'd often drive over to the IRCON at Kykko Camp for a weekend of music and craic. Great times were had.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc1Tow1ay00&feature=related

Fairly decent one here too ^^^

well, bar the soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

benwavner wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc1Tow1ay00&feature=related

Fairly decent one here too ^^^

well, bar the soundtrack.

Doesn't bother me, I'm deef. :D

tac

• Advertisement

I was down near bolands mills the other day and taught wont that be a great location for a df museum, You could even dock one of the navy's ships when they retire and ad that as a museum piece. I know the cost of such a project would be big but it could be something worth while doing as you would create construction jobs, get a Df museum at the end of it and we'd have something done for 2016 worth while

I've seen a rumour on facebook DF page while back that there may be a medal issued to commemorate 100 years of the IV.

RDFRA announced that their submission for Reservists to be awarded the medal has been granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Maoltuile

RDFRA announced that their submission for Reservists to be awarded the medal has been granted.

Where did they announce this? (April 1st was some time ago!)

Their facebook page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Another ONET medal..

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Irish History

The thrust of your point is correct.

In historical fact and in reality, the renegade Free State army (deserts and betrays an organisation, country, or set of principles) were set up as a rival to the legal and legitimate army of the 32 county Irish Republic, namely the Irish Republican Army.

For those who don't know, read the minutes of the treaty talks below and learn the truth.

The defence force were Crown Forces - the enemy Kings local defence force in Ireland. That's how the traitors to Ireland got the name defence forces in the first instance.

Despite the State lies still being perpetuated to this day, the enemy British king was the Supreme Commander of all his armies in all of his Dominions. The Free State army oath was to the enemy British King who remained King of Ireland and Head of the Irish (so-called) Free State and government.

The President of the 26 county 'Southern Ireland' State is now the Supreme Commander of the Defence Forces. The enemy British Monarchy ceased to claim to rule all of Ireland as recent as 1953 - but still makes that claim in the occupied 6 counties of Ireland and indirectly the whole of Ireland by using Ireland's emblems, such as our Sovereign Seal in their Coat of Arms.

Title: Elizabeth II, by the Grace of God, of Great Britain, Ireland and the British Dominions beyond the Seas Queen, Defender of the Faith - 6th February 1952 to 28th May 1953.

Id be more worried about the future considering Mickey D as supreme commander of the defence forces as agreed terms with Sean Clancy that he is going to ignore the 2025 election and stay on as supreme commander.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Hope not!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Wow.

Someone not happy witht he outcome of the civil war, 100 years later.

WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭sparky42

• Advertisement

Maybe he figured out putting those stupid posters up on poles wasn’t working anymore?

It is but you would never know with Mickey D as he likes his comforts

Ah but I thought it was going to be a campaign against the Left according to PBP? Or have I got the conspiracies mixed up? As for Mickey D, he does like his comforts that’s true, it doesn’t mind **** on the DF so he’s kind of stuck…

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

11 year old zombie thread.

Must be a record.

If by "civil war" you mean England's proxy war in Ireland during 1922/23 - no I'm not happy that England used recreant Irishmen to do England's dirty work for the Englishman.

No proper Irish person would be.

The only one trolling here is you.

Do you have anything of any consequence to add to the thread???

Watch "Irish troops prepare to defend Ireland (1940)" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/PBiUIu2rfhQ?si=wdfqKZoQqGQI4gbr

• Advertisement
Advertisement