Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transition Year.GOOD INTERESTING Courses

Options
  • 04-03-2012 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Hi,

Im looking for information for my sister.
    She is 15, going into transition year in Sept 2012. She wants to get hereself sorted for it ASAP.

She wants to do an intensive equine course over a few weeks/months. She has been riding for 10years and keeps horses.

A college type course where she can go and learn about the industry would be her dream. She would like ideally be learning/working 5 days. Home at weekends.

Her plan is to do a couple of courses and then some work experience in several different industries to figure out where her passion lies.

She doesnt want to spend 4th year in the school as its not a great school for TY students, They spend alot of time sitting around and doing jobs for teachers.. etc... nothing of benifit.

She doesnt want to get lazy, she thinks some "out in the real world" experience will give her drive and motivation.

Anyone got ant ideas.. or know of good TY student programmes.

THANK YOU!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

SOunds like it's a gap year course you're after, which would be more after LC, before college type thing. ALso, make sure the school is ok with this. I've known students to be sort of written-off by teachers for never turning up in 4th year. Took them a while to be taken seriously then in 5th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Miss_Theresa

Well I have a cousin who went to RACE (Racing Academy and Centre of Education) instead of doing TY last year! He loved it!
    http://www.racingacademy.ie/2009/index.php

Or try asking around in yards/riding centres for advice?! At the moment my friend has started her BHS stage 1! :)

Advertisement