Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study aids!

Options
  • 04-03-2012 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

I'm not talking about adderall or ritalin, but natural study aids. Does anyone use anything for concentration, energy, etc? I briefly looked into nootropics but never ordered anything. I'm wondering now if I should because I seriously need to start working every day, and concentration is my biggest downfall!

(I get enough sleep, decent food, water, vitamins etc. so it's not the basic stuff dragging me down! :))

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Drink a supplement of raw eggs mixed with neurons from an animal of your choice. It will revitalise you as you grind through every subject. If it is not working, add caffeine with 6 spoonfuls of raw cane sugar. Don't skimp on any of the ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

I use a product called Eskimo Brainsharp! There like a concentrated fish oil, pharmacist said they're very popular amongst LC students :D They're pretty good too, I can feel myself becoming more focused and alert now when studying.. Pricey enough though! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭I_ENJOY_BATHS

Unfortunately I cannot vouch for any natural aids, amphetamine gets me hopping though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

I would also like to know this.

So far I'm taking:
    omega-3 fish oil
    Rhodiola
    Theanine
    and I'm drinking coffee and tea.

There seems to be so many more nootropics out there though, like:
    Huperzine A
    Creatine (believe it or not)
    Choline
    MCT oil
    Vitamin B6 (and possibly other vitamins but I haven't looked into this enough yet)
    Magnesium
    Acetyl-L-Carnitine
    and I keep finding more and more.

The question is should you take all of these supplements if you're looking to improve you're mental performance, or should you only take a few? Do they really improve cognition and if they do how much so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

I found coffee the best. Drink enough so that you're on the verge of the jitters and you're good to go whether its homework or study :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

A healthy diet, plenty of sleep and exercise will be as good to you as any pills

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Undeadfred wrote: »
    I would also like to know this.
    So far I'm taking:
    omega-3 fish oil
    Rhodiola
    Theanine
    and I'm drinking coffee and tea.

I bet you haven't done a solid stool in months....

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Consistently studying in the exact same spot at all times where possible, so the change of environment doesn't cause distractions (however small)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Sucette!

If you're doing it right, you actually shouldn't need to take anything extra, you''ll be almost ready to collapse at the very very end, so maybe then would be a time to look into taking something?

I managed fine with a healthy diet, moderate exercise, consistant study and constant breaks. Towards the end I did take Pharmaton, but that was mainly to please the Mother. I was absolutely exhausted by the last exam, but you should definitely be fine untill at least after the Pres!

Sucette! wrote: »
    If you're doing it right, you actually shouldn't need to take anything extra, you''ll be almost ready to collapse at the very very end, so maybe then would be a time to look into taking something?

I managed fine with a healthy diet, moderate exercise, consistant study and constant breaks. Towards the end I did take Pharmaton, but that was mainly to please the Mother. I was absolutely exhausted by the last exam, but you should definitely be fine untill at least after the Pres!

Yeah the Rhodiola should prevent any burnout or fatigue from studying. It helps reduce stress and improves memory and concentration. I'd say that will be the one that will help me most.

I'm actually finished my LC, I'm studying for the Foundation Scholarship exam in Trinity.

• Advertisement

Was looking at the ingredients of Alpha Brain to find out which ones actually do the stuff I want them to, which are:

Phosphatidylserine
    Alpha GPC
    Vinpocetine but might cause depression
    pterostilbene for memory
    Bacopa Monniera
    Huperzia serrata

Advertisement