Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic Fourier Series question

Options
  • 03-03-2012 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

f(t) = [t]
    (modulus of t)

-∏<t<∏
    T=2∏
    (period of 2∏)

What is a0?

The answer I have here is a0 = ∏

Is that correct? If so, why is a0 = ∏?

Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

You're close but not quite there with that answer - it should be

[latex] \displaystyle a_{0} = \frac{\pi}{2}. [/latex]

The [latex] a_{0} [/latex] term in a Fourier series is simply the average value of the function over one full period.

So [latex] f=a_{0} [/latex] is the constant valued function which gives you the same area over one full period as the function in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Smythe

Are you sure a0/2 doesn't equal pi/2 in this case?

In the notes I have it says;

a0/2 = pi/2 is the mean value of the signal

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Ah OK, yes you are correct. I forgot that some people only half the value of the [latex] a_{0} [/latex] term in the final formula, instead of calculating the actual average/mean term directly. (This is so you can use the [latex] a_{n} [/latex] formula for obtaining the [latex] a_{0} [/latex] term, instead of having to remember a separate formula for [latex] a_{0} [/latex].)

Okay, no problem.

Also, I found essentially the same worked problem here;
    http://www.exampleproblems.com/wiki/index.php/FS1

using an x instead of the t in my question.

It can be seen on that page what 'an' equals.

Would you have any idea why my notes state that 'an' equals
    -4/[∏(k^2)]

Provided in your notes there's a piece of text saying "for odd k only" or something similar, it actually works out the same whichever formula you use.

If you look at the [latex] a_{n} [/latex] term in those notes, they have

[latex] \displaystyle a_{n} = \frac{\left2((-1)^{n}-1)\right)}{\pi n^2}[/latex]

for all even values of n, this is zero, so we can just rewrite this as

[latex] \displaystyle \underbrace{a_{n}}_{n{\subscriptsize \hbox{ odd}}} = \frac{2(-2)}{\pi n^2} = \frac{-4}{\pi n^2}. [/latex]

since for all the odd values, the -1-1 add to give negative -2.

So it's the same thing at the end of the day.

• Advertisement

That's great. Thanks very much for that, I actually understand it now!

Great. Glad to be of help.

Advertisement