Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keyboard causing laptop shutdown???

Options
  • 03-03-2012 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi all, im having a strange issue with a laptop,its a dell inspiron 1545. recently it just started shutting down without warning and sometimes would not come on at all. I tried all the usual trouble shooting methods and came up with nothing but lastly i removed the keyboard and now it seems to be working fine.

Now i know the obvious thing is to replace the keyboard which ill do, but i wanted to know has anyone ever experienced this or know why this would happen.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What do you mean you removed the keyboard? Was it a USB keyboard you were using?

Tbh i'd just reinstall the OS and start from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭maccer666

What do you mean you removed the keyboard? Was it a USB keyboard you were using?

Tbh i'd just reinstall the OS and start from scratch.

No it was the laptop keyboard itself.im using a usb one now and its fine.

Its seems to be a hardware issue though and not software thats why im trying to stay away from the os reinstall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

These micro-switches don't last forever and they can only take so much abuse, you know. :p

Torqay wrote: »
    These micro-switches don't last forever and they can only take so much abuse, you know. :p

You have me out of my comfort zone now talking about micro-switches. :-)

Shall i just get a new keyboard and forgot about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

There are a few things you can try / check

1) is the bottom of the laptop overly hot when it shuts down? They do tend to overheat, especially if you use them on your lap / bed / blanket etc for prolonged period of time. The system will then perform a thermal shutdown to prevent any damage.

2) Next time it happens and if it doesnt come on, take the battery out of the laptop, unplug the power, hold the power button for about 30 seconds and then put the battery back in and power it back up.

Might do the trick, I had similar issues with my laptop (Studio 1537) and the power button trick sorted it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭johneire31

I seen a similar problem to this some time back on a dell laptop but it was a different model to yours. When the keyboard was removed it worked ok and then when it was put back in it would shut down.

It turned out that work had been done on it before and different screws were holding the keyboard in place, they were slightly longer but enough to cause me concern. I happened to have a second hand keyboard at the time and I threw it in and put right screws in it as I was in a hurry doing it.

However, thinking back, It was probably to do with the metallic base of the keyboard coming into contact with the chassis of the laptop causing a reaction of some sort. Components are sometimes isolated at screw mounts to stop transfers and at other times they are earthed in a similar way, that is earthed for static which builds up inside laptops or any device. Sometimes you will see foil at these junctions and these wear in time and are often ignored when opening a system.

I think it would be worth a try to try and fit some protection to the rear of the keyboard and have a look at the screw hole surrounds, also make sure the right lenght of screws are being used and that nothing is touching things they are not meant to be touching. A bit of trial and error and patience needed.

If you could lift the keyboard out of its position and start the laptop and see does that do anything, but keep the ribbon connected so the keyboard is still active and usable it will give you some indication it that is the problem.

j

wexie wrote: »
    There are a few things you can try / check

1) is the bottom of the laptop overly hot when it shuts down? They do tend to overheat, especially if you use them on your lap / bed / blanket etc for prolonged period of time. The system will then perform a thermal shutdown to prevent any damage.

2) Next time it happens and if it doesnt come on, take the battery out of the laptop, unplug the power, hold the power button for about 30 seconds and then put the battery back in and power it back up.

Might do the trick, I had similar issues with my laptop (Studio 1537) and the power button trick sorted it.

No its not a over heating issue, that's the first thing i checked and also tried the power button trick, got me out of a few jams before but unfortunately not this time.

johneire31 wrote: »
    I seen a similar problem to this some time back on a dell laptop but it was a different model to yours. When the keyboard was removed it worked ok and then when it was put back in it would shut down.

It turned out that work had been done on it before and different screws were holding the keyboard in place, they were slightly longer but enough to cause me concern. I happened to have a second hand keyboard at the time and I threw it in and put right screws in it as I was in a hurry doing it.

However, thinking back, It was probably to do with the metallic base of the keyboard coming into contact with the chassis of the laptop causing a reaction of some sort. Components are sometimes isolated at screw mounts to stop transfers and at other times they are earthed in a similar way, that is earthed for static which builds up inside laptops or any device. Sometimes you will see foil at these junctions and these wear in time and are often ignored when opening a system.

I think it would be worth a try to try and fit some protection to the rear of the keyboard and have a look at the screw hole surrounds, also make sure the right lenght of screws are being used and that nothing is touching things they are not meant to be touching. A bit of trial and error and patience needed.

If you could lift the keyboard out of its position and start the laptop and see does that do anything, but keep the ribbon connected so the keyboard is still active and usable it will give you some indication it that is the problem.

j

What kind of protection could i use for the keyboard because ive had the keyboard out of the laptop with the ribbon connected, and as soon as i pop it back into place the laptop shuts down again and thats without the screws in

Firstly look at the back of keyboard and see if it there is any obvious damage to the back of it, look especially around the holes for the screws. What you use for the back of it is debatable, you just need to make sure it is thin enough not to cause other issues, it could be thin plastic cut to measure, or that self adhesive plastic you see them put on windows of cars or bathrooms.

The screw mountings are very important too.

j

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Dannysaurus

I'd say just get a replacement keyboard. They cost about... 30 quid tops, depending on the availability. That's including shipment :3

• Advertisement

Firstly look at the back of keyboard and see if it there is any obvious damage to the back of it, look especially around the holes for the screws. What you use for the back of it is debatable, you just need to make sure it is thin enough not to cause other issues, it could be thin plastic cut to measure, or that self adhesive plastic you see them put on windows of cars or bathrooms.

The screw mountings are very important too.

j

Cheers ill give it a go, the holes for the screws seem fine, there's only 2 at the top of the keyboard,none that come through from underneath

I'd say just get a replacement keyboard. They cost about... 30 quid tops, depending on the availability. That's including shipment :3

Ahh ye i know that,i have one sourced and all im just been awkward and trying to figure out why :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

maccer666 wrote: »
    Cheers ill give it a go, the holes for the screws seem fine, there's only 2 at the top of the keyboard,none that come through from underneath

are the 2 screws for the keyboard short or long , they should be short , if they are the long ones they are probably shortin the board as another poster said.

duckysauce wrote: »

are the 2 screws for the keyboard short or long , they should be short , if they are the long ones they are probably shortin the board as another poster said.

They are the shorts one,s. About 5mm long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

im just been awkward and trying to figure out why :D

Good man :D

j

So i took your advice and so far so good. i applied a layer of insulating tape to the base of the keyboard then set it back into place and its being running fine since. Hopefully it lasts :D

It seems that it was just some sort of reaction between the base of the keyboard and something.

Cheers for all the help and advice people.

No problem, hope it lasts too, I see no reason why it shouldn't. If you wanted a more permanent solution you could paint the back of the keyboard or the where the keyboard sits with fiberglass resin or a few coats of varnish. Careful though, with the liquids!

j

No problem, hope it lasts too, I see no reason why it shouldn't. If you wanted a more permanent solution you could paint the back of the keyboard or the where the keyboard sits with fiberglass resin or a few coats of varnish. Careful though, with the liquids!

j

i think ill quit while im ahead tbh :D last thing i want now is some liquid damage :eek:

Advertisement