Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jump starting - Have I done damage

Options
  • 03-03-2012 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Hi All,

Had planned to take out my MH today for the season. Had in storage and when I tried to start engine turned over a few times before the battery went dead.

Tried to jump start but the jump leads I had were too light and started to melt, so got a pair of heavy duty leads. Put these on, but when I went to start I nothing happed, no noise, no lights dash board or roof lights etc...

There is some power in the battery, is there a fuse I should check or have I done damage to ECU or something else ?

Its a '05 Fiat Ducato 2.8 diesel.

Any help etc would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

I had trouble with my car similar to you it ended up being a fuse on the battery (see pic) also there is the colour fuses for lights radios etc. check them and see if any are blown, charge the battery indoors with a charger and try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

You need to get your hands on a multi-meter. Connect up the leads again and see what voltage you have got. With slave vehicle running, you should have 13 to 14 volts present. It could be a faulty pair of leads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I'm not sure about yours, but some modern vehicles do not take a jump start very well, it's best to recharge the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭steelboots

thanks all, got sorted. When jumpstarting seems was hard to get cotact on the + terminal so got a second set of leads and used the two sets at the same time and it started.

Will keep an eye on battery but probably need to replace, and need to replace the leisure one as well. Where is the best place to get batteries ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Its a pain to get to the plus terminal especially if you've fitted the older 110Ah battery.

Most of the issues people talk about with jump starting are with the smart charge alternators. http://www.petercoopercarrepairs.co.uk/ford_focus_alternator_smart_charging.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 danny50

My baby 2.5TD likes the slave at 2000 revs for about 10 seconds and starts no problem. usually use a window wiper i keep in car and seat forward if i'm on my own. And yes if bad connection it's always the pos+ !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

if you need to rev the car/van supplying the charge , then it has a weak alternator . An alternator should supply the same amps from tickover to max rpm.

steelboots wrote: »
    Where is the best place to get batteries ?

http://www.satellitetv.ie/deep_cycle_batteries/elecsol_220amp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 107

Advertisement