Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam returns to the Tube

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Nice find. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this.:)

An overview of events planned for next year to mark the 150th anniversary of the Underground.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/corporate/Item06-London-Underground-150th-Anniversary.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

There was a report in this weeks Railway Herald on it.

Giving LULs general horror of anything flammable after Kings Cross it's pretty amazing, I'd hate to have to read the Method Statement and Risk Assessment (I used to write them for our jobs on LUL :rolleyes:)

I'll keep an eye out for events and maybe time a visit, despite spending many nights cursing getting dirty down he tunnels I still have an affection for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

101sean wrote: »
    There was a report in this weeks Railway Herald on it.

Giving LULs general horror of anything flammable after Kings Cross it's pretty amazing, I'd hate to have to read the Method Statement and Risk Assessment (I used to write them for our jobs on LUL :rolleyes:)

I'll keep an eye out for events and maybe time a visit, despite spending many nights cursing getting dirty down he tunnels I still have an affection for it.

Wasn't Kings Cross a very specific set of circumstances that led to to the disaster?

The blog makes reference to the fact that it's 40 years (1960s) since steam traction was used on the LU and suggests for maintenance purposes. What was involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

LUL had ex GWR Pannier tanks for maintenance trains up to 1970, also remember that most of the Met and District is above ground. Steam hauled goods trains also used parts of the system. They use electric/battery locos now.

Kings Cross showed up a lot problems elsewhere and now you can take only very limited quantities of flammable materials in sealed boxes in for maintenance jobs.

Advertisement