Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decking advice needed (with pics)

Options
  • 03-03-2012 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Hello all. I'm starting a decking project while the weather has turned nice :D Its around 14 x 12 foot and will need to be elevated around a foot to get me up to the conservatory floor level as I plan to step out from there right onto deck, and have the decking run the same direction as flooring covering the steps running away from doors.

5270409683707f704afbz.jpg
    5271026324de597794afz.jpg

Not sure whether to go 45 degree on corner or leave it square. I plan to get the base done first then overlay with composite boards (money permitting) but Ive a few questions if anyone could advise on the base would be great.

Attaching a ledger board (6x2) ?? to the house under the lip of dashing IN PICTURE (painted black) is that above or below the damp proof?... would I need flashing or just keep the ledger slightly away from wall with shims etc to allow drainage?

Unsure what supports to use for the the bearers. don't want to sink 4 x 4 posts into the ground cause of rot and those concrete post supports & metal post anchors work out dear as I reckon ill need around 12? also read of some people cementing in cavity blocks with wood on top to nail the bearers onto?

And can anyone tell me how much I should order how many and what length joists & bearers i'll need. I have the area ready and have all tools necessary for the job just need the supplies now. Appreciate any help on this never knew anything about decking until yesterday :o thanks!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Shinnie0503

Hi, I'm sorry I cant give you any help on how to lay the decking etc. but what I can do is give my tuppence worth on whether to put in a decking at all! If you enjoy high maintenance projects then put in decking.

Our decking is in about five years now and it is the bain of my life! It cost us approx. €1000 to put it and if I could afford to rip it out i would. No matter what expensive product we stain and protect it with, it still gathers green mould etc in the winter and needs to be powerhosed every year. This in turn takes off the stain so we have to restain it every year as well. It is approx. 16 x 13 so is a lot of sanding, painting etc. On a wet day, we cant walk on the decking at all as it is incredibly slippy. We can't use the patio door all winter as it is so slippy! If I had it all over again, I wouldn't go with decking.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

Hi thanks for the reply. Yes I've read the horror stories of cheap softwood in our Irish climate being a disaster thats why im surely going to go with composite decking. even tho its like 50 a sq meter it will be worth it in the long run as they say your costs end when the last screw is in place.

have you considered recovering your own in something similar?

http://www.celuplast.com/prod-decking.htm

Advertisement