Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to become an EMT/PARAMEDIC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Links to business's are, to my knowledge, forbidden without permission here so I can't comment on that course.
    As for up-skilling from EMT to Paramedic, the only up-skilling to Paramedic was carried out by the NAS and DFB when they up-skilled longer serving members to Paramedic level.
    There is no direct recruitment of EMT's to the NAS Emergency Ambulances or the DFB.

If you use the search function here you will find all the answers.

The best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

This question has been answered too many times here now, have a read through the forum and you'll get your answer.

There is no route to upskill from EMT to Paramedic.

That course (and any other EMT course) theoretically may help you when applying for a job with the HSE/DFB in an interview setting, however it does not offer you any exemptions, and you must apply for the position in the same manner as all other candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Dan577

hi,
    im looking for some info/advice on reading material until the the next para campaign starts again. Any help would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭STANDCLEAR!!!

Dan577 wrote: »
    hi,
    im looking for some info/advice on reading material until the the next para campaign starts again. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Don't put the cart before the horse just yet,

Have you got your C1 and D1 licences?

Research what is involved in the aptitude tests and interview.

Join a voluntary organisation for experience.

Learn about ambulance service and phecc structure.

And get a good anatomy and physiology book and start learning about the different systems.

Just for the start!

Cheers standclear,
    Yes i have both licences and have been researching for the aptitude tests. As much as i can find out the interview is structured and your told what to expect in the pack??
    Im in Galway and looking at joining an voluntary unit just not sure which one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Dan, I'm not involved in any voluntary organisation but I've met many folk from all of the vol groups through my work and I have to say they were all very competent in their work and attitude. Check out the nearest groups to your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭STANDCLEAR!!!

Cheers standclear,
    Yes i have both licences and have been researching for the aptitude tests. As much as i can find out the interview is structured and your told what to expect in the pack??

Spend a training session with each voluntary group in your area and see which one is best, just make sure its an active unit with plenty of structured training.

The interview is exactly what it says on the tin! Just make sure you know what's on it backwards! Can't go into it anymore than that here.

Good luck!

Cheers Standclear and BangBang, thanks for the help much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

I'm currently doing an EMT course, it's with <mod snip>. There's different ways to do it, you can do it in a block (think it's 4 weeks) Mon-Fri 9am-5am, or you can do it over a few months, 7 weekends (every second weekend) then one full week at the end. They also organize a weeks placement for you before exams. I absolutely LOVED it, and even though I live in Tipp, I found the commute to Dublin every second weekend well worth it. The lecturers are all Paramedics or Advanced Paramedics and Firefighters with the DFB. They really know their stuff, they are so experienced, and some of the funniest people I've ever met.
    Well worth it!

The website is here <mod snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

right quick question. do you need a CPC with your C1 and D1 driving licence for the paramedic application?

can anyone recomend a good book/books as a starting point for researching paramedic training in ireland?

does anyone know how many if any extra points would be awarded to a holder of a EFR or EMT cert at the application process?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

right quick question. do you need a CPC with your C1 and D1 driving licence for the paramedic application?

can anyone recomend a good book/books as a starting point for researching paramedic training in ireland?

does anyone know how many if any extra points would be awarded to a holder of a EFR or EMT cert at the application process?

No there exempt from cpc thank god. And as such there is no extra points for having the cert but your interview is based on nous experience

• Registered Users Posts: 34 troubledagain

Can you still become an EMT if you are colour blind??

Advertisement