Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTPC with Apple TV as secondary device

Options
  • 03-03-2012 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Just thought I'd share with folks, how I moved from using an Apple TV to a HTPC, then found a great way of using the ATV as a secondary device in the bedroom.

I find the ATV a great little device and was using to watch movies etc for a while. Eventually I got fed up with jumping through hoops of re-encoding with handbrake so files were playable, playback dropping out halfway through a film, having to leave the laptop running all the time.
    So I moved on and got an Asus E35 Deluxe motherboard, enclosure, SSD and all the bits to build a HTPC. And its great. Always on, running on low power.

So I was left with a redundant ATV. Cutting to the chase, I use an iPhone, and an iPad (apple bitch :o) so I've now set up the following simple arrangement. (I wonder could it be done with android, especially if the ATV was jailbroken)

The ATV is in the bedroom on wifi hooked up to a small Sony flatscreen and a 2ch hifi.
    I've installed an app called Air Video on my phone/ipad. Also, an associated programme called Air Video Server on the HTPC downstairs. I also had to install bonjour on the HTPC to get the devices to handshake. (I was happy enough not to have to install the iTunes bloatware). The app costs about €3, and for me that was well spent. There is a free version to try first it but won't display the full media folder contents, fine to try it out before buying though since it has the all the core functionality of the paid version.
    When the server programme is installed, I point it at the folder containing all my TV & movies. No modifications to the files, structure or anything else is needed so its still as set up as I need it for windows media centre.

Upstairs, start the app on the phone or ipad and I see the folder with the file structure in place - it makes it easy to navigate since its already well organised for WMC. Press play and the app decodes on-the-fly and plays the file. Hit the airplay icon and the movie goes to the ATV and plays on the TV. It plays mp4, avi. mkv, etc without any hesitation.

Long winded for such a simple solution but I like the two room option and the fact I've not had to relegate the ATV to the junk drawer!!

Advertisement