Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not all it's cracked up to be?

Options
  • 03-03-2012 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Been in Australia now since the start of December (sydney and now melbourne) and just isn't living up to the way everyone goes on about it. Don't get me wrong, the country is gorgeous and the lifestyle is nice but it's hard to find jobs here, especially in Melbourne. I think people at home think you're just going to walk into a job here but its actually really difficult and the weather hasn't been the best since we've been here. Also, I'm sure its not everyone's experience, but I haven't found the Australian people I've met to be that friendly or nice. I find them quite reserved and a lot of the young guys are tools! Before I came out, I genuinely thought we might move here for good but having been here a few months, I'd take Ireland any day.
    Don't mean to moan at all, but I just was expecting so much more, especially from the way people go on about OZ on boards and just in general.
    Anyone else feel the same?? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Oz is a country a long way from Ireland.

Not a land at the end of a rainbow.

I would disagree with your comment in relation to how Oz is talked about on Boards as most of those comments are made on this forum. In essence both sides are given but People with WHVs tend to block out the negatives. Which is only human.

Sorry its not suiting you, best of luck in the job hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

smiler1990 wrote: »
    No.

I'm guessing you're on a WHV and going by your username you don't have much work experience and probably only out of college.
    Where in the world are you going to walk into a job no matter what economical climate there is?
    Of course you're going to be hostile about the place because you can't find a job.
    You've been looking for work since beginning of December; This is the worst time of the year in any country to be looking for any work. Do you read the papers or watch the news out here? If you did you would see that most companies are letting go people citing the financial instability in Europe as an excuse to tighten their belts.
    Again, if you are on a WHV you will have a far better chance of getting a job outside of the cities.
    I could go on all day but the one bit of advice I'd give you is look for work outside the major cities.
    Get out and see a bit of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭200yrolecrank

Been in Australia now since the start of December (sydney and now melbourne) and just isn't living up to the way everyone goes on about it. Don't get me wrong, the country is gorgeous and the lifestyle is nice but it's hard to find jobs here, especially in Melbourne. I think people at home think you're just going to walk into a job here but its actually really difficult and the weather hasn't been the best since we've been here. Also, I'm sure its not everyone's experience, but I haven't found the Australian people I've met to be that friendly or nice. I find them quite reserved and a lot of the young guys are tools! Before I came out, I genuinely thought we might move here for good but having been here a few months, I'd take Ireland any day.
    Don't mean to moan at all, but I just was expecting so much more, especially from the way people go on about OZ on boards and just in general.
    I moved to Oz in 2002 and jobs were not that easy to come by that time,I can only imagine with the influx of European youths that it's a bit tougher.
    When I first arrived I had shagg all money and we all went picking fruit for 4 months 6 days a week pears and apples.
    I cleared a big debt of the cc and had nice starting up money.
    I took a little wander around the country for a month and then did anything I could find for a few weeks,furniture removals,glass collector whatever until I got a break and landed an amazing job earning great cash which I stuck at until 2009.
    We had to come back to Ire in 2009 for family reasons but I still think I will go back to Oz in another 3 yrs time.
    I have lived in America also and I used always compare the two at the start,definitely I still prefer America as a country,a lot more fun IMHO.
    But as a country to live and work I think the Australian system is better as it offers a fairer system.
    In my entire time in Oz my friends were Australian,Vietnamese,Thai,Philo and I hardly never hung around with the Irish backpacker crowd unless I bumped into them on a night out.
    I have to say the Australians I met and worked with all were very kind to me,had me out to their family home on Christmas day and knew how it felt to be an immigrant in a new country as they were often 1st or 2nd generation Ozzie.
    I loved the mulitculturism of the cities,the choice I food and the weather while in mellie can be up and down it beats the miserable Irish climate.
    My best advice to you if you want work,I presume your in a hostel.
    Get up daily 7am free beeline hit the street for jobs handout cvs everywhere,scour the papers notice boards.
    If you still can't find work go down to Tasmania to a place called hounville.
    Apple picking starts round now and April,beautiful part of Oz my favourite place Tazzy it's cooler and easier to pick down there.
    Get some money together and your options increase,forget Ireland if it all fails you will be back here in a year.
    Everyone has that feeling sitting in the backpackers looking around thinking is this it,especially after traveling through Asia.
    Chin up you could be a lot worse off

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

smiler u have just been part of " the grass is greener on the other side " mentality . People don't come back and tell us about the loneliness or that it wasnt what they expected . We are given " home & away" examples .. U need to give it more time and embrace it more ..

U may have already seen this link but work is there .. Like every thing .. Useful site is http://www.backpackerjobboard.com.au/ . It looks like it is updated regularly .

Another link I found is http://www.workstay.com.au/
    Good luck ..

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Instances of Irish people coming to Oz thinking its the golden land of opportunity - finding their expectations coming up short and going home early aren't un-common. Unless you have strong experience and a relevant qualification you really will struggle to find a well paying job over here..

And without money I think it would be impossible to enjoy Australia.. its too expensive! But if you have cash in the pocket its an amazing place..

Anyway, sorry to hear you aren't enjoying yourself. My advice would be to stick it out. You'll only get one chance to come here. Make the most of it or you'll regret it in years to come!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Depending on ur work back ground maybe u should think about leaving the major population centers on the east coast. ?

Advertisement